sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Render Animation Preview

bubba

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See if you have stereo and multi-pass on.

where do I find stereo or multi-pass setting?

This is the only dialog box I get.

Screen_shot_2010_09_24_at_3.26.19_PM.jpg

And when I try to change this to a .tga sequence this happens

Screen_shot_2010_09_06_at_3.41.55_PM.jpg

AM looks for the untitled.mov file.

I actually have a screen capture of the entire sequence but it is about 40 MBs

Perhaps you should try "render to file" rather than "render animation preview" and then saving to a file ? The movie you posted shows a render size of 1318 x 1074 (at 30 fps) - is that the resolution you want?

Are you rendering from the camera view? what version of A:M? what are your rendering settings? (ie multipass? etc)

Yes, I am rendering from the camer1 view. Here is a screen capture of the Rendering settings from the Preferences. I am using the Beta 3 version of 16.0. I do not know how to control the render size.

I would suggest multiple things, besides using "advanced" view, rather than the preset picture view: 1) select use settings from camera instead in the preferences & 2) set your render settings in the camera property data in the chor. That is where you can control resolution. Then when you click on render to file button from the chor window - you will see your render settings. You can then inspect them again in the render to file dialog, in case you you want to experiment, or modify.

However, in this case, since you have chosen custom settings, and have selected use parameters from the preferences dialog:

Click on Advanced property in that dialog. You will be able to see all the settings, rather than the pictures. Then, scoll down to 2nd half to see where resolution is specified. That is probably where this resolution is coming from.

• Admin

John mentioned potential problems with rendering out to the .MOV format and I see you are (or were) trying to render to .MOV file by one of your posted images.

As of the moment there isn't a current Software Development Kit for Quicktime (.MOV) available so A:Mv16 Beta cannot render out to the .MOV format. There is also a problem rendering out to .AVI format but I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

In time these problems will be remedied but for now I'd suggest rendering out to image sequences.

Try .TGA, .PNG or .JPG.

• Developer
As of the moment there isn't a current Software Development Kit for Quicktime (.MOV) available so A:Mv16 Beta cannot render out to the .MOV format. There is also a problem rendering out to .AVI format but I haven't seen that confirmed yet.

Not complete correct , mov format is only not supported in the 64 bit windows version , the other versions can save quicktime formats.

• Admin
Not complete correct , mov format is only not supported in the 64 bit windows version , the other versions can save quicktime formats.

Thanks for the clarification Steffen.

I originally had '64 bit' mentioned in my response but removed it because I wasn't sure how accurate that part of the statement was. I should have gone with my instinct.

Hopefully Apple/Quicktime can help to get that fixed.

In time these problems will be remedied but for now I'd suggest rendering out to image sequences.

Try .TGA, .PNG or .JPG.

I have tried to "Save As ..." in the .TGA format, but then I get a another dialog box that basically says "where is the file untitled.mov"

Screen_shot_2010_09_06_at_3.41.55_PM.jpg

Since this is called Render Animation Preview, maybe I am making too much about saving and not enough about the preview part - like when the window opens and the rendering starts, the size of the window is about one fourth of the available real estate.

Since this is called Render Animation Preview, maybe I am making too much about saving and not enough about the preview part - like when the window opens and the rendering starts, the size of the window is about one fourth of the available real estate.

Were you able to try anything suggested above?

here

Maybe it wasn't clear? (ie click advanced, then change the resolution in the preferences ? or in the camera, if you also click use camera settings)

• Admin
I have tried to "Save As ..." in the .TGA format, but then I get a another dialog box that basically says "where is the file untitled.mov"

In the past when I experience the problem I got in the habit of typing out the extension .tga (example: image000.tga)

I'd still set the image format to TGA but typing it in with the filename made it stick.

Not sure if that will help in your case.

I changed the Preferences to Camera and then I went back to the Choreography Window and clicked on the shortcut to Camera1. I went through all the settings and changed them.Screen_shot_2010_09_25_at_5.39.03_PM.jpg

Here are the Camera Properties

Screen_shot_2010_09_25_at_5.38.52_PM.jpg

But even after that, I still get a dialog box that defaults to untitled.mov and when I click on the ellipses I geet a dialog box that sometimes I can change the information, other times it hangs up the program and I have to Force Quit.

I tried the same thing with Render to File with much different results.

Screen_shot_2010_09_25_at_6.10.43_PM.jpg

As you can see the next dialog box had the same settings as the Camera1 Properties.

And the result is

renderpreview.mov

So, I am not sure what to conclude, whether or not there is a problem (bug) with the Render Animation Preview (Save As...) or not.

Not sure I understand: Are you able to change the file name and/or filetype and/or other settings? with "Render to file"? But you are NOT able when you use "render animation preview?"

Is it just the filename/filetype that is giving you problems?

That is correct I can set the filename and type in "Render to File" but NOT in Render Animation Preview"

I have experimenting some more and have narrowed down the problem somewhat. I don't think A:M likes spaces in file names. Strange in this day and age. I can now same a Render Animation Preview out to disk, both as a .mov and .tga. However, the content ls all black. And it still won't adhere to the Output settings (VGA resolution)

Untitled.mov

Here is one .tga

The forum won't allow me to upload a .tga. (Anyone know why?)

• Admin
The forum won't allow me to upload a .tga. (Anyone know why?)

Targa files (.TGA) don't display in web browsers natively. (They never have)

To share .TGA files they can be compressed and uploaded. (The forum will accept .zip files)

When the .TGA files are part of an A:M Project file they can be compress with A:M via the 'Consolidate' command or the images can be compressed using a compression utility (for PC the most popular is probably WinZip).

For displaying directly in the forum you'd have to use a converter to convert the .TGA image to a browser friendly format such as .PNG, .JPG or .PNG. All of those image formats will upload and display in the forum.

Note: Some browsers now have plugins that will allow viewing of inline .TGA images but its not a good idea to use .TGAs as their file size (especially at high quality) generally is not well suited for browsing and very few will have those plugins installed in their browsers..