sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Polar Bear Fur

Sollywood

Hi,

I'm currently modelling a cartoon polar bear (see attached) and I want to add some fur to his body. I've tried to do this following the tute in the help section in A:M, but haven't quite got it to look any good. Either the fur is not dense enough, then too dense, then it hangs down perfectly, but the hair at the top hangs through the patches making any upward facing part look bald. I've also had a problem with the fur sticking through things like the character's nose, scarf and gloves.

Any tips on decent settings for the emitter and other fixes would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

PAUL

post-2471-1283426553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

One of the secrets to hair is apparently placing a texture of some kind on the surface underneath the hair.

This will then cover the bald spots from those angles.

You may also want to investigate whether a material (such as Keekat's fur recolored white) might work for your purposes.

Either the fur is not dense enough, then too dense, then it hangs down perfectly, but the hair at the top hangs through the patches making any upward facing part look bald. I've also had a problem with the fur sticking through things like the character's nose, scarf and gloves.

Nice character, Paul!

If the hair is pointing inward, flip the normal of the patches affected by selecting them and then hitting the "F" key.

You can make maps to prevent hair growing from places that it shouldn't...as well as maps for density, color, etc. You an also use the grooming tools to change the length and make it flow the direction you'd like.

A visit to the Hair section of the forum might be helpful. Also, if you haven't watched the "Tech Talk" on hair, you can find it in this thread.

Hope that helps.

--------------------

EDIT

--------------------

Lazlo's (Brainmuffin) polar bear is in the thread located here.

• Hash Fellow

if it's generally short hair you can use "styling" to give it the direction that fur would have and turn off dynamics so it isn't trying to react to gravity.

I think the Yeti mascot character is in one of the sample data collections; that had polar bear-like fur that might be studied.