Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Using AM for Photo manipulation

wildcard

Hi I’m new to the world of AM

I’m still learning the basics and all and am using a book to assist me in my learning process, Animation Master 2002 by David F. Rogers

Now a while back I read in some article or magazine about AM being used for photo manipulation. My memory is somewhat fuzzy on the article, but I believe it got used to enlarge their heads and alter them in shape somewhat. All I can recall was that a grid/mesh was placed over the picture, adjusted to in shape of the head and neck and next thing, the picture stuck to the mesh and it could be readjusted and dragged apart. After the heads/bodies were somewhat adjusted shadow/light effects where added with photo shop.

What I recall it looked easy, but my beginner’s book does hold any topic regarding photo manipulation.

I’ve also did some searching online and having a hard time finding any tutorials about using AM as a photo manipulation tool. With AM being a 3d modeling tool, I’m finding tutorials about the basic’s what my book already is covering and much more.

Any one able to point me to a tutorial that explains how AM can be used as a photo manipulation tool?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I'm not aware of any tutorial that focuses on the subject but the principle is direct and simple.

Steps:

Create Grid in the Model Window

Decal the Grid with an image (Preferrably something that can easily be distorted and still be recognizable)

Open an Action Window with your Model

Change to Modeling Model (or alternately you can use Distortion...Magnet or Mirror Modes)

Manipulate the Control Points to change the imagery.

Post your questions/images here and we'll build you a custom tutorial. ;)

• Admin

It should be noted that while you can manipulate photos in A:M this task is generally better suited to photomanipulation software designed for such alterations (Photoshop, photo morphing software, etc.)

It can be done in A:M though.

The benefits can outweigh the cost of rendering in cases where the image needs to be incrementally animated in ways that would be harder to do in those other programs.

I'm attaching a test I did several years ago where I 'think' I did what you are asking about. This was a test to see what a still photo would look like (previs) if they 'relief-printed' it onto a piece of custom molded plexiglass...

I simply made a mesh in A:M... applied the image(with alpha mattes)... and adjusted the CP's in depth... adjusted the bias-handles... and rendered.

Ronald_McDonald_Test_small.mov

Decal the Grid with an image (Preferrably something that can easily be distorted and still be recognizable)

Change to Modeling Model (or alternately you can use Distortion...Magnet or Mirror Modes)

Once you create a new Action, you probably want to enter *Muscle Mode* instead of Modeling Mode. I don't think it is possible to enter Modeling mode in an Action.

You can, however, enter Modeling Mode in a choreography...

When in Muscle Mode, any changes you make to the mesh are saved only in the Action, Pose or Choreography (Whichever one you are working in). The original model remains unchanged.

But when in Modeling Mode, you are altering the actual, original model.

I'm not aware of any tutorial that focuses on the subject but the principle is direct and simple.

Steps:

Post your questions/images here and we'll build you a custom tutorial. ;)

Took me a couple of times, but I got it working.

Had to change to view mode to see the effects.

Now that i've done it several times over, it's quit easy and fast to set up, some thing I'm not able to do with photoshop.

It should be noted that while you can manipulate photos in A:M this task is generally better suited to photomanipulation software designed for such alterations (Photoshop, photo morphing software, etc.)

It can be done in A:M though.

The benefits can outweigh the cost of rendering in cases where the image needs to be incrementally animated in ways that would be harder to do in those other programs.

I'm limited in use of photo editors, I use Gimp because my Photoshop copy is god knows how many years old and has a striking resemblance to Microsoft Paint form Windows 7. I've seen newer version, but I don't recall it containing tools that could manipulate a photo as fast I did with AM.