Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making a sprite emitter or hair emitter disappear

I've read several post in which people were noticing that the emitters were not totally transparent when a scene was rendered. Well Nancy shared a little trick with me in one of my posts that I thought was good enough to share with everyone. Many of you may know this already, but some may not. If you want to make an emitter disappear, here's the trick: Make a small TGA image with a transparent background and an alpha channel for the whole image. When rendered in AM you should see nothing. Now take that TGA and apply it as an image to the emitter mesh you want to hide. Here is the kicker: in the image properties under the mesh shortcut, change the property from color to cookie cut. That's it. Now when you render the mesh, it will be completely invisible. Please note that I've only tried this with hair meshes, but I believe it should work on sprite emitters too.

Koodos go out to Nancy for this neat little trick.

Eric

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

setting an object to 100% transparent is actually the problem I believe Eric has fixed here. When you set an object to 100%transparent, the particles cause peculiar rendering artifacts, usually black lines that resemble the wireframe (this is in final mode and is a problem with apparently all versions of AM) I will have to try this trick as I've been looking for a fix to this for years

this is what I get when I do particles and apparently many others do to as I've brought it up before a while ago. It's at the bottom of Earth. The first pic was without multi-pass, the second with I do believe. I remember this because I believe it got worse with multi-pass

post-9859-1270434816_thumb.jpg

post-9859-1270434859_thumb.jpg

And using the cookiecut method Eric described:

post-9859-1270436129_thumb.png

due note that the transparency issue is fixed when rendered in shaded mode as opposed to final. That unfortunately has some of it's own issues, one being the fact the coordinate thing (forgot its name) shows up in the bottom left.

EDIT: One more quick thing to note that I just tried, this only happens to the emitter. I threw in another transparent sphere (not using cookie cut method) and the particles did not effect the sphere. The sphere was completely transparent, the emitter retains that unusual blemish

one of the things I found in my travels with regards to the particle rendering problem is that it has been there since some of the oldest versions of AM. Funny thing is that each time a new version is released, the issue changes and renders differently. And to test the alpha channel thing, I'll make a solid square particle and see if it renders the same

I don't have a project - but if I look at John's example movie here - I see that when the transparent emitter and a sprite image with an alpha channel occlude - there are artifacts. Not sure if the sprite is in front of emitter or vice versa in his example. It does not seem to matter if the sky or ground is the background.

I'm guessing that John was using a sprite image that had an alpha channel, as well as that the emitter surface patches were made 100% transparent (not sure if he did it with setting surface property or with a cookie cut patch image)

EDIT: - maybe it's also related to having additive color =ON as well?

Very strange, never seen this before. Yes, I'm getting the artifact and can reproduce it. It's very odd, I'm getting it using a flat plan as well. It looks as if, whether the sprite is in contact or in back of the transparency, it is being shifted on the final pass (non multipass and multipass), like it has an IOR set or something.

yes, that was the same result with me. Unfortunately using shaded render isn't exactly a good option when making scene with other elements in it. I wonder what's different about the shaded render vs the final render engine for particles? Perhaps it can be adapted into the final renderer? I posted this a while ago on Am Reports, but never got a response

• Hash Fellow

As i see it, the artifact is at the intersection of the sprite with the emitter. Only the portion of the sprite that is on the viewer's side of the emitter surface is visible. This is apparent by spinning around the model when a particle has a portion on both sides ( I deleted the back half of the sphere so i could see inside)

We should be able to see the whole particle thru a 100% transparent surface, but we don't. It's getting clipped.

Possible work around... make your sprites 100% transparent at the beginning of their life and fade them to 0% transparent after some point when they would have cleared the surface of the the emitter. Haven't tried this.