Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Elemental Piano

I decided to start another animation project. I am basing this off a bunch of minor projects I have done in the past.

I will be adding my piano model to some of them and adding some sweet camera angles and shots...

Here are a few test frames:

post-11793-1263847868_thumb.jpg

post-11793-1263847878_thumb.jpg

Render time is going to be murder! Most scenes have AO (the desert scene etc) and I managed to optimize those to keep them under 20 minutes a frame.

The pool scene I took AO out so I could render faster (about 2 hours a frame with AO!!) Most shots are down under 20 minutes a frame now.

I have plans to hopefully finish this comletly including rendering in the next 2 weeks to enter in a contest at my school.

Off to do some more work!!

Photoman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using conventional lighting! Just a sun light and global ambience, (Though i use AO with global ambience in the desert which renders fast enough).

Another note. The 10 minute frame on OSX v14 renders at about 9 minutes on a 1.8ghz pent4 XP v13 PC.

Photoman

• Hash Fellow
If you can figure out the UV wrapping/Unwrapping,

Has someone done this? Or is this yet-to-be-achieved?

I am using conventional lighting! Just a sun light and global ambience,

GA is a bit unconventional.

Another note. The 10 minute frame on OSX v14 renders at about 9 minutes on a 1.8ghz pent4 XP v13 PC.
10 minutes... that's not bad. That's not going to kill you.

10 minutes is fine, im just making an observation. Also I have 2 more pc's to add to my render farm, to total it up to 4! Though I can only use them at night.

On another note, I may try to add a skylight rig in and see if thats better than AO for the ambience/indirect light.

Photoman

As far as I know, it is yet to be achieved. I didn't try very hard. But with all the UV tests you have done lately, you could probably get it working.

• Hash Fellow

As far as I know, it is yet to be achieved. I didn't try very hard. But with all the UV tests you have done lately, you could probably get it working.

My tests were all aimed at making it a simple as possible in A:M.

Exporting something to polygons and figuring out how an external app maps it, and then figuring out how to get that remapped back onto A:M... my enthusiam flags a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while since Ive updated this... The project is on the backburner right now. Ive become quite busy with school and swimming so I get to this whenever I am not tired and have time (which isnt as often as I like). So to keep y'all in the loop here is a quick studio clip:

E_Piano_Studioshot_A_.mov

Photoman

Thanks for the good comments! If anyone is wondering about the lighting setup, it is really simple, and... there is no AO!

First thing I wanted was the dark room spotlight look so I placed the first kleig light up top aimed right down at the piano.

Then I realized that that looked quite plain and didn't have any "pop" to it, so I placed 3 more kleigs at strategic points around the piano and set each of them to be just specular.

Then I wanted the reflection of the "guts" of the piano brighter so I placed a low powered bulb light inside it.

After I had all this done I went through each light and tweaked it, I changed the Top kleig to have 25% softness and 100% shadow darkness. Next I set the bulb to have 100% shadows with 3 rays distributed in passes to give more detail inside.

post-11793-1266889983_thumb.jpg

SO... that was my setup and for information I had each frame averaging about 1min 20sec over 240 frames @ 1024x435

Also that shiny look is from an environment map material of a studio HDR image, which needs to be upscaled...

Photoman