sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Correct facing normals

jason1025

In Barry's training

He says that your patches need to be facing the correct way all the same. I just realized that some of my patches are not all facing the same direction. The correct normals plugin does not really work.

WHat are the negative effects of this?

Can I just ignore it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
In Barry's training

The correct normals plugin does not really work.

It tries. It may not get all of them since there's no absolute rule for inside vs.outside.

WHat are the negative effects of this?

It's most important for 5-pointers, particles like hair, the porcelain material and SSS. They will all look weird with a patch going the wrong way.

• *A:M User*

Just like Robert side sss can be affected. Dark patches are most of the time the result of patches facing the wrong way. Hair is a nightmare when the patch is facing incorrectly. There is a setup in options that allows you to correct the facing of the normal. Go to shaded mode and it allows you to select that.

Steve

Select the problematic patches and hit "F". This will flip the normals for any selected patches.

Though it seems to be possible to provide a reliable normal unifier with polygon programes it does not seem to be possible for anyone to do it with patches. Perhaps it just too difficult to automatically decide what is an outward or inward facing patch:

post-183-1256840914_thumb.jpg

Even a 3 point patch can have a pretty convoluted surface. I do think that a routine could be written that would allow you to select one patch on a mesh and then select "Unify Normals" and the routine would compare neighbouring normals and flip them if their normal varied by more than a certain number of degrees but that would fail as it followed the contours of a vase's surface from the outside to the inside.