Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2 questions

Malo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Is it a way to view all Falloff's bones, in mode bones?

bonefalloff.jpg

Is it a keyboard button to move a patch along the normal as there is one for X (1), Y (2), Z (3) axis?

patch-move.jpg

thank you in advance

Malo,

Not sure if this works but if you open one bone exposing the option to display the falloff then select all bones in the PWS then change the setting, all might change... it works that way with a lot of other settings.

The keyboard keys that control the movement of the CP are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. I think it is 4 you want but you can try them all.

Rusty

Thank you Rusty,

For the Falloff's bones, this does not seem to work

For 1,2,3,4,5,6 keys it seem to be for CP only:

1,2,3 is for moving along X,Y,Z axis

4 to snap to the grid

5 an 6 to move along the tangents

tengant.jpg

But I see no way to move the patch along the normal .

• Hash Fellow
Thank you Zandoria!

Is it really the normal direction? That don't seem to be the same direction of the yellow lines.

normal.jpg

the 4 5 and 6 keys work for a CP rather than a patch. A patch doesn't have one normal, it has zillions of them, one for every possible point on it's surface. A CP has one normal.

the example you show seems to be using the normal from either the first or last CP you selected as its guide.

Thank you, Robcat,

I misunderstood the word "normal". (I did not know CPs have normals and patches have not)

In AM, when I press "Tools/Options/Modeling/Displey normals", I can see one yellow line in the middle of every patche.

What is this line?

normal2.jpg

Is it a keyboard key to move the patch along his yellow line?

• Hash Fellow
Thank you, Robcat,

I misunderstood the word "normal". (I did not know CPs have normals and patches have not)

In AM, when I press "Tools/Options/Modeling/Displey normals", I can see one yellow line in the middle of every patche.

What is this line?

normal2.jpg

Is it a keyboard key to move the patch along his yellow line?

It IS a normal, but just the normal for that center point of the patch. Since we move CPs in A:M and the patches just follow along wherever the CPs go, it's the normal (never seen) at the CP that matters for those control keys. A:M displays the normal in the center of the patch so you can tell which way the patch is facing for things like hair and particles.

If you want to move whole patch(es) you can (T)urn your view until you are perpendicular to the direction you want to go and then drag it on-screen.

This is a bit confusing, but to make it easier:

The "normal" you see there is just a guideline for the direction of a patch. It is different than in a polyprogramm.

If you like to move in a specific direction you need to do that with the translate-tool, where you can rotate the pivot of the currently selected group of CPs and than translate in that direction.

Due to the nature of non-box-modeling, it is not that much needed to move along the "surface-normal" but you still can do that by using the translate-mode instead of the standard-mode.

*Fuchur*

• 3 weeks later...

if it can interest someone, here is a solution to move a patch along the yellow line:

-select the patch

-CtrlC (Copy the patch)

-CtrlV ( stick a new patch, now on this patch, all cp hav the same normal direction, this patch will be a guide)

-Select the 2 patches

-select a Cp from the copy of the patch.

-press 6 key and move the patches.

- in the end delete the copy of the patch.

movePatch.gif

if it can interest someone, here is a solution to move a patch along the yellow line:

Elegant! Very clever. Thank you once again for presenting a generalized solution.

I have just recently did an general exercise for myself following your fabulous tutorial on "Modeling a character with A:M".

One of the things, that I have always struggled with when modeling a character, was having to re-figure the spline layout. Especially on the face. Your generalized methods are brilliant! . I had a little trouble with some of the language - but the screen capture illustrations are excellent. It's wonderful that your delightful artistic style comes thru as well, even with a general solution.

Thank you so much - I will be using your method from now on, and I no longer have to think!

Thank you HomeSlice and Nancy.

Hello Maddle, I will try to explain better (sorry for my english)

normalmove.gif

1. Select the patch you want to move along "his normal".

2. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

3. Shift + arrow key toward the first patch (here UP) to place the new patch on the first patch.

4, here I have colored the new patch in red to help to understand, that there are two patches.

5. Select the two patches.

6. Press Shift and cliked on one of the CP of the new patch. Half of the spline selected will be green.

7. Press on the "6" key and move your patch