Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The TAO Video Lessons

Rob_T

I don't know who does the video lessons, it's a shame they aren't credited especially if the person who did them is part of the community. They are for the most part quite excellent.

But has anyone else noticed how much his voice sounds like "Reverend Lovejoy" from the Simpsons?

It makes me laugh sometimes when I should be paying attention.

I'm up to lesson 9 now and I noticed that with the exception of the giraffe lesson all the forthcoming lessons are pretty short (in estimated time frame for completion). There are several under 30 minutes. I'm pretty psyched about that. The more I learn about this program the more I want to learn. It's like throwing gas on a fire. Repeatedly. I'm happy to know that I'll be done with the lessons soon and will be able to start working on my own stuff.

I'm a little nervous about the modeling. I'm not a good artist. Can't draw for crap. And the artist I have working on my webcomic is disconnecting and becoming less involved by the week. I hope modeling is easier than drawing. Otherwise I'm going to be making some pretty ugly people soon. And animals. Ugly animals.

I've also heard a lot of talk about plugins (the guy who sold me this assured me that there were no plug ins or extra programs to buy... that I got it all except an actual hard copy of the manual and digital is fine for me), different versions of the program and After Effects (which I not only have but have a tutorial program for that I never used). This makes me more nervous as I know that even after I learn the lessons I will still have so much to learn.

I love learning but there is nothing.... nothing like completing a project. I hope I get to start some soon.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

As far as I know a Hash employee, Steve Sappington, did the TAoA:M videos.

There are plugins available for A:M, for example these, but they are mostly free and you won't need them for TAoA:M. They are convenient, but not necessities for getting something done.

The only major accessory you need with A:M is a paint program if you want to make decals.

There are a few plugins which are not free, but you dont need them to accomplish standard-stuff:

A:M Paint and Zign Track

Other plugins can be found here:

Steffen Gross-Website

And have a look in my signature too. You will find some more there.

There is no need to use any of these for the TAO so... however they can make things easier.

*Fuchur*

I think with this sort of thing, it may not be possible to learn *everything.* I'm more than 2 years in at this point and I'm still learning things! Of course, it isn't *necessary* to know everything to do what you want to do with A:M. Loving to learn is definitely a good attribute to have going forward!

For me, I think drawing is easier than modeling in the sense that I can draw something much faster than I can model it. I think you're asking if it's possible to model without being able to draw and that does seem to be the case. I'm hesitant to say that it can replace talent, though. (Even the manual qualifies that "Modeling takes talent.") I've seen some great character models by people who don't identify themselves as artists, but I've also seen some spectacular character models by people who *are* artists.

An argument could definitely be made that modeling is a talent in and of itself.

If you keep your expectations reasonable and put in the time, the rewards are great!