sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My First Character

Ok...so it's not gonna be the next Woody or Buzz...but hey, its my first A:M character and I'm kinda proud of him. Still loads of work to do (getting rid of that horrible beard and using A:M's hair system, sorting out those legs, teeth, tongue, bones...argghhh!!!!). LOTS of work!!! For any other newbies out there I highly recommend David Simmons eye tut (and I was <ahem> slightly inspired by how he did Bertrums belly!) :lol: Let me know what you think.

post-12530-1236831164_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

I like this character a lot.

The mustache will save you a lot of work on lipsync too so that alone may be a good reason to keep it! ;)

My only crit:

The legs look a little long in proportion to the rest of body. Especially as you've stated you are trying to accentuate his stomach girth.

Rather than making his legs shorter though you could consider scaling up the rest of his body from waist height.

I guess it depends on how tall you want the character to be.

Hey, thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I've had a quick play about today and given him a new beard :) Still needs a bit of grooming though...especially those eyebrows!!! I definitely agree about the arms and legs. When I originally sketched him he had much shorter legs, but when I modelled him I thought...pah, I don't need to rotascope it. Boy was I wrong! Gonna have a play about with the proportions tonight. With the hair and beard, etc, how easy is it to make a hair map like the ones used in ex20? And how neccessary are they? Thanks again.

post-12530-1236879311_thumb.jpg

Ok...had a bit of time before hitting the sack and it's given me a chance to experiment a bit with materials on the trousers and t-shirt. Also corrected the hand position (thanks Nancy) although I think I should fatten them up now?! I tried scaling the body up Rodney but then the legs looked too skinny, so just squashed them a bit and I think it looks kinda ok.

post-12530-1236909316_thumb.jpg

He looks cool.

The shoes and laces are great.

I've never tried to model laces cause they seem pretty tough but yours look great.

Right now he reminds me of Santa in the off season.

I can almost see him doing the treadmill.

Hope to see him animated!

I've never tried to model laces cause they seem pretty tough but yours look great.

Hey. Thanks a lot. I'll be honest, they're not as good as they may look. If you were to see the wireframe under the knot its a real mess. Bits not connected and the like. But luckily they're hidden :)

Right now he reminds me of Santa in the off season.

I can almost see him doing the treadmill.

:lol: Haha...my original idea was "how does Santa prepare for Christmas" :) Kinda like a Rocky training montage :D I'm hoping to get the rest of the modelling, texturing and rigging finished by the end of next week...then on to animating. Whew...loads to do :D