Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Moving to A:M from another 3D software, what to expect?

Path other

I'm planning on trasnferring from M@y@ 8.5 to A:M and I had a few questions about what to expect:

1) Can I bring in .OBJ's of some of my models in A:M?

2) I'm looking into A:M because I'm more into NURBS than POLY's. A:M is different from both, but I understand it's more like NURBS. Can someone elaborate on this?

3) Can I import vector lines in .ai format and use them as the base for patch modeling?

4) How much file size does A:M take up? Because I'm starting out with the 1 year subscription, I have to use a cpu with internet, which only allows for my laptop. And I'm hoping it's slimmer and less demanding on the cpu resources so that it doesn't freeze up to often.

Gratzi in advance

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I'm planning on trasnferring from M@y@ 8.5 to A:M

Welcome to A:M (we hope)!

and I had a few questions about what to expect:

1) Can I bring in .OBJ's of some of my models in A:M?

"possibly"

OBJs that are the result of good "Sub-D" modeling are the most promising. They have a topology that is more similar to A:M topology. however...

Most OBJs will be overly dense for a good A:M model.

-the initial import time may be enormous

-some large ones will not be importable

-substantial editing and thinning will be required

poly models made of triangles are pretty much hopeless, except in the special import option called a "Prop". A Prop is not quite a "model" in A:M. You can place it in your animations, move it, but it can not be edited or rigged like a character model might be.

Don't toss out that other app. You may find that judicious pre-editing or breaking a model into parts to export separately may increase the chance of success.

A:M was really made to be a beginning to end pipeline for modeling, animating and rendering so import from other apps hasn't been a priority. The best app for making A:M models is A:M.

2) I'm looking into A:M because I'm more into NURBS than POLY's. A:M is different from both, but I understand it's more like NURBS. Can someone elaborate on this?

Martin explains that NURBS are a degraded subset of A:M splines. So anything you can make in NURBS you can make in A:M splines. The actual tools may appear quite different. In general, A:M uses a few tools that do many things rather than a large set of narrow focus tools.

3) Can I import vector lines in .ai format and use them as the base for patch modeling?

yes! There is a clever AI importer plugin that converts AI (a particular AI version format, i forget the #) lines to A:M spline outlines. It can even fill the interior and bevel the edges.

4) How much file size does A:M take up? Because I'm starting out with the 1 year subscription, I have to use a cpu with internet, which only allows for my laptop. And I'm hoping it's slimmer and less demanding on the cpu resources so that it doesn't freeze up to often.

because a few spline patches can represent the same surface as many polygons, A:M models tend to be reasonably small.

However, more RAM is always better than less RAM. I feel 1 gig is a minimum.

User experience indicates the PC version of A:M is more nimble than the Mac version.

Filesize of A:M:

A:M (the program) alone only takes about about 100 MB.

With the library it can however be much larger. But you dont need it at all to run and work with A:M.

I am not using it much.

NURBS-Modeling and Patch-Modeling is more compareable than Polygon-modeling and NURBS-Modeling, but it is not the same.

However if you feel more comfortable with NURBS you will like Patches. But it is still a bit different.

The AI-Version is 8, but any Adobe Illustrator-Version after that has an export for AI 8-Generic-Format.

I am quite sure that this is the way it is done in any programm, at least the once I tested and worked with.

OBJs... it highly depends on how well the OBJs are created. Lowpoly (Subdivisionlevel down to smallest for example) can come in quite well.

I did recently bring in a fully modelled cow (with organs, bloodsystem, etc.).

It was quite complex but it worked very well and I only had to fix very few star-connection-problems. (More than two splines running through a point).

One of the really cool things about A:M is, that it can run on quite a slow machine quite well. I am using it till now on a Athlon XP 2000+ (this pc is about 5-6 years old...) and it works quite well.

Of course you will notice a speedincrease with a current computer, but it is still working quite well.

*Fuchur*

Is A:M customer service difficult to get a hold of? I sent a product info request Friday to their sales email address, and then Sunday to their orders email address after purchasing the 1 year subscription version, I still haven't received a response from either.

My latest question, a partial repeat of #4 above, is about if there's any way to install the 1 year subscription on a non internet active computer. Possibly installing it on my non-net CPU, and using a laptop with net access to send/receive any addition login keys, etc. that would be produced/verified during the setup process.

Can't you just temporarily connect the "offline" computer just to install? How is your laptop connected? Is there anyway to just use that connection on the other computer for the one time?

I don't remember the whole activation process but I do recall that I needed a new activation code recently for my subscription when I switched PCs. Although my PC is connected to the internet I don't use it for email or "crazy" web browsing to avoid "infections". I was sent a new "activation code" on my Mac and typed it in on my PC. I don't remember the exact steps that followed but I'm sure it probably does need a connection to the internet but for only that one time. That code is checked on their server to determine if it is legitimate but AM continues to work even if the computer is not hooked up to the internet... as far as I know.

-vern

-> Only needs to be connected for activition... after that you can just cut of the connection if you want.

But you have to connect the computer you are working with and activate with it.

I think A:M is using some kind of system-information to lock the key to a computer (for example the MAC-adress, oder something like that).

It can take some time to get a specialized response from Hash... and I am quite sure it is more unlikely to get info on weekends.

If you need any kind of informations you should first ask on the forum and if people here couldnt answer, then ask hash.

What was your question?

*Fuchur*

• Admin
Is A:M customer service difficult to get a hold of? I sent a product info request Friday to their sales email address, and then Sunday to their orders email address after purchasing the 1 year subscription version, I still haven't received a response from either.

You may not get immediate response from support on weekends, holidays and when the Hash Inc team is out in full force at tradeshows. They don't have a large team of people manning the phone lines.

If you sent your request on Friday or Sunday you'll definitely want to wait a few days for the response.

On weekdays you can expect same day response.

If they've had a particularly busy weekend they may just not have gotten to your email yet in order to respond.

If you haven't heard back in a day or two. Submit another response.

The websubscription does require internet connectivity for the initial activation.

After that you don't have to be connected (but you'll want to be for any update installs).

If you have a pressing need to never be connected you may want to consider the CD install.

If you can connect... I suggest the internet install.

It sounds like you've all answered my question about the internet connection which is whether or not I need to have a CONSTANT connection for the software to work.

I have some other programs that require a constant net link, and I was considering the remote chance that the same scenario applied for A:M, especially since it's so cheap compared to larger far more expensive 3D suites.

I'm going to install it on my non net cpu and briefly hookup the web to complete the installation.

Thanks for the answers, and I'll definitely send my questions here to the forum as my first resort in the future.

compared to larger far more expensive 3D suites.

You will find many more expensive suites, but I don't think you will find many (or any) that are larger. A:M's depth is hidden in a relatively easy and intuitive UI. As you get more familiar with the program, you discover more things. For me, it took eight or nine years of constant use before I felt I had reached the outer limits. Then, of course, they added a couple more features .... so I'm behind the curve again.

Then, of course, they added a couple more features .... so I'm behind the curve again.

I'm so far behind the curve...

There are features that have gone all the way around and are trying get past to go around the curve again.

I can't see that curve anymore due to all the sub surface scattering blocking my view.

It might as well be an infinitely straight line I can never reach the end of.

I fell into a pool of liquid someone left in front of me and I don't know how to stop the simulation.

I have to use a Newton Physics high velocity object setting just to keep up.

I thought image based lighting had to do with black lights and funky posters.

I'm occluded by all the ambiance.

.. uh... did I take that metaphor too far you think?

;)

-vern

I managed to get A:M installed on my non-net cpu with a temporary net connection and it's working fine back in no net mode.

1) Where/How do I get the tutorials to work? I drag them into the scene, but after that I don't notice any instructions on how to get from point A to point B. Is this something I need internet access for?

One downside is that I can't get the help/support function to work without Inet access.

2) Does anyone know where to go to download or the steady URL address to access the help files & Tutorials?

• Hash Fellow
I managed to get A:M installed on my non-net cpu with a temporary net connection and it's working fine back in no net mode.

1) Where/How do I get the tutorials to work? I drag them into the scene, but after that I don't notice any instructions on how to get from point A to point B. Is this something I need internet access for?

First visit the New User page

The starter manual every new user should work thru is The Art of Animation:Master (TAoA:M) available to download in pdf form.

Doing TAoA:M will get you past all the usual new user questions. There are more people here.

One downside is that I can't get the help/support function to work without Inet access.
you mean the community window? Close it and ask questions on the forum here.

2) Does anyone know where to go to download or the steady URL address to access the help files & Tutorials?

note also that almost all of the TAoA:M exercises have a video walk-thru available