sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lost CD

AMkyle

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Kyle,

I think you are experiencing why many have found the $49 websubscription fits their needs better than having the CD... no more CD to lose, break or have stolen!

Unless you have insured your CD there is little that can be done to replace it outside of purchasing a new one.

With the websubscription all the worrying about 'what ifs' goes away.

I like it enough I now have three websubscriptions! :)

Now I'm a little confused. Is this a "what if", like, "what if I lose the CD" or "What if I have a web subscription and get a new computer?".

When launching the CD based version it asks for the CD. If the web subscription is "broken" or you got a new computer (as I did recently) you can ask Hash for a new code. Both versions behave differently. It just surprises me that you don't know which version you have, CD or web subscription.

-vern

This is a what if situation, cause i got version 13 for christmas, but then i moved about a month ago and so far i havnt found it, so WHAT IF i lost it? and i dont think i have subscription because i cant run without a cd

i do though, have the original tutorial book with a few numbers in the very front for something, i forgot what i was though, something for installation?

v13 was only delievered with the CD-version... so it cant be the websubscription.

You would have to speak to Hash about that... but I highly doubt you would get another CD. They can't be sure that you lost the CD / DVD and so they would have to risk that someone gets two versions for the price of one. AND what is although very likly is, that they will not do it because you dont have the current versionn (version 15 is out for quite a while now).

So it is a pitty, but it looks as if you have to buy the websubscription (or a new CD-version) to run A:M again if you dont find your v13 CD.

*Fuchur*

• Admin
And if i found my cd, could i send it in for version 15?

Kyle,

Not just unlikely... but no way!

The most current version of A:M (now v15) is available for only $49... think about that for a second. While its pretty common for all of us to expect everything for free these days most of us spend $49 for a good dinner. That's about 50 trips to the Coke machine.

Asking Hash Inc to buy the latest version of A:M for us is a bit much don't you think?

Save your pennies. Saving a dollar a day would have you into v15 next month.

is version 15 much better to have

What do you think our answer will be? ;)

Hint: v14 was much better than 13.

oh so your suggesting i should just get version 15 subscription for about 3-4 $ a month??? if i actually have lost my cd?

maybe i just should subscrible becuause i get an allowance a month and i guess i could use 4/125 of it a month? lol

There's lots of new features and better stability since v13, and seriously, $49 a year is a steal. So if the CD is really gone, your options are $299 for a v15 CD or $49 for a year's subscription.

Also there are updates during the year (that work for either version) that it pays to stay aware of.

Interesting study was done recently. It determined that investors in the stock market were more UPSET when losing $100 than HAPPY when earning the exact same amount. When you have something that costs $299 to replace it you might want to make sure nothing happens to it. If I lose my cell phone the manufacturer isn't going to give me a new one. When you own expensive things you need to be responsible for it.

The good news is you can replace your lost CD fairly inexpensively. I don't intend to be harsh or to make light of your loss but if you lose something you need to accept it. Sometimes losing something means it costs money to replace it. We've all lost something valuable. I had a $1200 video camera stolen from my trunk. I lost a $300 pair of prescription glasses at the beach. I once stepped on an external DVD drive. Recently I had a 4 port router sitting at the bottom of the steps. A metal piece of a large chair fell down the steps (don't ask) and smashed the router to itty bitty pieces. Things happen.

Chalk it up to experience.

-vern

• Admin
oh so your suggesting i should just get version 15 subscription for about 3-4 $ a month??? if i actually have lost my cd?

Personally I think subscribing to A:M would be a good move regardless of whether you find your CD or not. The $49 websubcription is available to all regardless of whether they have purchased before or not. Gone is the whole idea of versions when you keep your subscription current.

The primary reason I think people should save up their pennies for the CD ($299) is where they are running a small studio where they need to lock down the version as an edge against new features. While most A:M users love to see new features come along as often and as frequent as possible, having a new feature appear in the middle of a production cycle can cause problems. A fix, adjustment, enhancement... whatever... might deliver something you don't need or want. 'Feature creep', as this is called, is generally something to avoid while in production.

i bet you know how i feel rodney with moving.

Don't you know it!

The plus to moving of course is that you tend to get rid of a lot of junk.

In that sense I probably should move a lot more often. ;)

A few more things I want to add to the discussion:

One reason Hash Inc won't replace old CDs is that they don't keep them in stock.

When a new version is released the old inventory is depleted... expended... replaced... the old stuff... gone.

Hash Inc has gone out of the way to provide quality 3D animation software cheaply. The price could have easily stayed at $99 each year or even gone up. As it is, the average A:M user saves $50 each year when they opt for the websubscription(plus postage which on average is about $15!). Its the same program that would have cost a newbie $299 a year ago but now they save 250 bucks!!!

One of the ways we add even more value to A:M is through sharing ideas, knowledge and resources with each other right here. You get your $49 back the first day you visit the forum. Its not only profitable though, being a part of A:M community is educational, inspiring and a whole lot of fun.