sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spline question.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's possible those CPs are "peaked".

It's also possible the "bias" is misadjusted. check the properties for a CP . Default is gamma 0, alpha 0, magna 100%.

Rob, I checked the CP proerties and they are correct.

Gamma 0

Alpha 0

In/Out Mag 100%

It also in the "Smooth" mode.

Thank you, Rob.

You have discontinuous splines. One way to check is to turn bias handles on and then click on either side of the suspect spline. If you are in smooth mode, you should see two bias handles, one on either side of the cp. If you only see one bias handle, you know the cp is either peaked or you have a discontinuous spline. If it's a dis-spline, hit shift and "k". This action will split the splines in two. Now Left click select the cp and while holding the left mouse button, simultaneously hit the right mouse button. This action will mend the two splines into one. Now you should see one smooth spline instead of two dis-splines.

Let us know if that solved the problem.

I think Caroline's advise will help you here. Select one of the problem splines and hit the comma [,] key to see how the spline flows. The splines in the problem areas are probably not flowing the way you think they are. The vertical splines do not look like they are continuing past the horizontal spline, but, rather, are bending at right angles - like in the attached picture. You are going to have to break each spline every place it bends at a right angle and reattach the splines so they form actual intersecting perpendicular splines.

spline.jpg

You have discontinuous splines. One way to check is to turn bias handles on and then click on either side of the suspect spline. If you are in smooth mode, you should see two bias handles, one on either side of the cp. If you only see one bias handle, you know the cp is either peaked or you have a discontinuous spline. If it's a dis-spline, hit shift and "k". This action will split the splines in two. Now Left click select the cp and while holding the left mouse button, simultaneously hit the right mouse button. This action will mend the two splines into one. Now you should see one smooth spline instead of two dis-splines.

Let us know if that solved the problem.

Eric, the problem is now solved, and I am really appreciated your help.

Another way to check is to click the spline near a CP, not quite on it, and press the Comma key. This will highlight the current spline, so you can see how far it extends.

Caroline, thank you for a nice "comma" trick, and this is really helpful.

Also, thank you Rob and Homeslice.

CHEERS! :P

So glad I didn't pipe in on this. I had it COMPLETELY wrong. At the last minute I dumped my reply and figured I'd wait and see how it turned out. ;)

Brillaint deductions people. I never would have guessed about the "non contiguous splines"... and yet, it is so obvious with hindsight.

-vern

• Admin
So glad I didn't pipe in on this. I had it COMPLETELY wrong. At the last minute I dumped my reply and figured I'd wait and see how it turned out.

Ditto here Vern. I typed two different answers and abandoned both. My brain kept wanting to type "Page Up/Page Down key" but my gut told me that had to be wrong. It did look like a case of discontinuous splines but I wasn't sure enough to stake a guess on it. ;)

Thats one of the great things about this forum and all the helpful gnomes and gremlins around here... if you wait it out a little, or sleep on it, the answer will almost always be forthcoming by morning.

The 'comma key' trick is pure Caroline. I've noticed she routinely comes up with such profound answers, usually something everyone should know but somehow forgot.

These guys/gals make this splining stuff look easy.