Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

May Mechanical Contest Entry

As per Vern's request, this was one of the May Mechanical Contest entries. (I actually entered two, this Rebel and the Lamborghinni Gallardo).

And as with Eric's entry, this is still a WIP. I had been doing a WIP thread on this already, showing the progress of the model. The Gallardo was the model I created mainly for this contest. Never even thought about entering the Rebel until someone in the WIP thread asked if I was going to enter it. I hastily tried to complete the model, but didn't succeed very well. There are a lot of things on the Rebel that I am not really happy with, and will be redoing them properly.

Anyway, here are some larger, higher resolution images of the bike.

Thanks to those (if anyone) who voted for my models. The models in this competition were really well done and I am always impressed with the quality and talent of the members of this forum.

Al

rebel250_0.jpg rebel250_1.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an awesome model and I would be very happy with it if I'd have achieved it. I wouldn't be surprised if your model inspires some of us to get a bike.

Isn't it funny how we are our own harshest critics? The progress of many of the longer term members has been a real treat to witness. This is also the reason why I love this forum, even the masters are humble and always willing to share/help.

BTW, AL, I consider you one of the Masters :) Awesome modeling.

Now, if you would just get back to the hot rod you were teasing us with... ;)

• Admin

Al,

I am impressed by the level of quality and attention to detail in this model.

What else really is there for me to say.

You done good. Real good.

You may not have won but that sure was and is a winning entry. :)

I considered this entry to be my big competition on a "mechanical" level. It has a lot of chrome and it has a lot of "parts" that have to be carefully attached. And once AGAIN, rendered with AO, while mine was old school traditional render. (Eric's tank had a lot of parts but no chrome).

First off on chrome... better reflections than mine. Very real, nice darks and lights. Nice speculars, good balance, nice definition of the reflective surfaces.

On the issue of parts. I'm not sure if this has more individual parts than mine but at least it has just as many. Plus, I couldn't see any mistakes. Mine has horrible splinage. If you looked at mine closeley there was some really amateur splinage mistakes. You can't see splines in a final render so it really shouldn't matter... but... my splines are not very "neat" and I have more patches than needed in a lot of places.

I haven't seen the wireframe of this one but based on past history and considering the wonderful flowing surfaces I am sure that the splines are beautiful. I had some areas that needed "car like" smooth flowing surfaces... uh... I didn't often achieve that and used the chrome and bumps to hide those failings.

AO rendering. I started playing around with AO on my entry after the contest because of all the wonderful realism achieved by so many of the other entries. It really takes it up a notch.

Personally, I don't think there was just one winner this month. There were a bunch of winners. I may have won on points but I think a recount in Florida should be done immediately. ;)

Great job. I loved this entry. (But I still don't know who did the one I voted for yet.)

It's so nice when we can vote for 4. You don't really put them in any order so you don't have to make a specific judgment... and... you can vote for your own with out feeling vain. ;)

-vern

See? What'd I tell you? Those splines are like a work of art. Sparse, perfectly aligned and symmetrical. I mean they are so elegant. There isn't a single spline that isn't needed or out of place. I am so jealous. ;)

How the heck do you do that? I tried to do it with my terminator. That was my intention... to mimic the elegant and sparse splinage of the top mechanical modelers here on the forum... but alas and alack... after a brief struggle I just said the heck with it and started dropping in splines willy nilly... I even stopped making my bevels all neat and tidy... I just eyeballed them. (willy nilly is a 3D technical term. It has nothing to do with Willy Nelson or country music)

-vern

your modeling skills are just amazing, as vern said, every spline where it has to be, unbelievable... i wonder where the parts are you´re not satisfied with, i guess i´d have to look for hours to the wireframe renders to find them ;) i really like the bike itself too, very stylish ride...

btw, i did vote for it! :)