Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Importing bone structures into another model

Hello,

I finally found some free time and have been going through Barry Zundels turtorials. I've come to the section (2nd DVD)where you save the left side of the model and flip the bone structure to the right then save. Then in a new project you open the model with the left side then import the right side into the model. The problem I'm having is it break the other side when it's imported. I've tried both ways importing the left side then the right and vice vesa.

This use to work in privious versions. I only have version 15B installed at this time. Any Ideas what I might try?

Phil

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

in the PWS you could drag the skeleton from one model to the other. try that.

This use to work in privious versions. I only have version 15B installed at this time. Any Ideas what I might try?

Phil

make a report of this to AMReports

• Hash Fellow

If it won't work in 15b, install a previous version to its own directory and use that one for this manuver you are wanting to do.

But still report it, and note the difference in results between the old version and the new version.

If it won't work in 15b, install a previous version to its own directory and use that one for this manuver you are wanting to do.

-Well, it seems to do the same in the last version 14 release

But still report it
-I reported under Version 15.0b

When you made the left side, did you do a "search and replace" to make everything named "right" named "left"?
-Yes, I performed the Search and replace step in note pad

If i open either the left or right side of the model the bones constraints work fine, it's only after importing one into the other. Its as if anything left/right overwrites the other

I haven't tried that in many years because tools like Stefan Gross' Mirror Bones plugin exists

( http://www.sgross.com/plugins/plugin18/index.html )

This plugin will mirror bones, bone falloff properties, constraints and CP weighting. It is usually a much quicker solution for what I think you're trying to do.

On complex characters, it can take up to 45 minutes to run, so you have to be patient with it.

• Developer
The plugin does not mirror constraints, as far as I know.

That's true , but there is another plugin , which will do this :-)

I don't know why I had'nt release it before (initial build was from early 2007), but now it's included in the mirrorbones download .

After the constraints are mirrored , you must work with a new action , because existing actions will not reflect the changes .

• Developer
The Plugin dosent seem to be mirroring the bones correctly for me in 15.0b

That's new for mee ....

The problem , which occurs in your model is , that some bones are not excact on the x0 axis, like this picture

bones1.jpg

If You have corrected them , (for control main it is needed to change the z-rotation to 0) , it works without problems

like the next pictures, You must run the plugin twice , with selected "main" bone and selected "control main" bone

step1.jpgstep2.jpgstep3.jpg

Then run MirrorConstraint (start with RMB on the model), and voila

step4.jpg

The problem , which occurs in your model is , that some bones are not excact on the x0 axis

So I need to set my center bones to x0 (main ->head -> spines ->pelvis control main) first?

I'll give that a try when I get home

Thanks

Yes, otherwise You get a secondary bonetree
Well that explains where those extra bones came from :blink:

Both of these plug-ins are sweet! Corrected those bones like you mentioned and ran both plug-ins,

Worked like a champ

Thanks so much! ^_^

• Developer

A question because a bugreport is opened for the first way (importing model).

In which version has this way worked ?

I know now where and why this happend (overwriting the existing relationships) , but I'm not sure if it is suitable, to change the actual way , this is handled .

A question because a bugreport is opened for the first way (importing model).

In which version has this way worked ?

I know now where and why this happend (overwriting the existing relationships) , but I'm not sure if it is suitable, to change the actual way , this is handled .

Barry said he made the tutorials using 11H. I can't recall the last version i used that it worked in