Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Evolution of a Character

KenH

Here's a progress video of the character in my avatar which I'm making for a project I'm working on. The head in the first frame is from a character I made previously so, this character grew out of that one. There aren't as many steps as I'd like but it's all the models I have. The original concept was inspired by a sketch.

brat42.jpg

testbrat.wmv

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Ken for posting this. Very interesting. I was wondering if you might post a QT mov so that one could step slowly thru the buildup? I really would love to understand your approach to modeling for animation, and I would love to understand why you make certain choices.

In other words, I would love to turn this thread into more detail about "Ken's methodology to modeling stylized human characters for animation"

I have the book Stop Staring, and other modeling references, tutorials..I've studied the TWO models (spline densities, layout topologies are all over the place). They seem to favor dense models.

I want to know how you approach it...I like your economic style. It seems to me that you now know instinctively all the answers, as witnessed by your super speed modeling skills, as well as understanding which choices are good for animating. I'm also studying your new models.

I want to go with the least amount patches. I find it easier to modify. And I'm lazy. But I always worry that my skimpy approach is too sparse for good rigging, animating.

I will try and formulate more specific questions in a more structured way ...so as to better pick your bones completely dry...

Here's the first questions: (I have zillions more - but don't want to freak you out)

1) How do you usually approach a head/face from scratch (given a rotoscope): ie in what order do YOU usually go in order to model the head/face.

2) I also would like to know your preferred techniques (eg Ken's way of using mirror mode, cfa, magnet mode, etc) to modifying existing face topologies into a new character and still maintain smoothness

Thanks again for posting this.

Okaaay....officially freaked out. :D

But thanks.

I'm never really sure if my models are right until they're rigged. But I've seen enough 3D faces and practiced making them enough times to know generally what needs to be done. Sometimes I err too much on the spline lite side. But I like to think of cps as little handles that give you control over a certain part of a face. Need more control.....then put in some more handles.

But on the whole, if a face turns out well, I'm very happy as it feels like I captured lightning in a bottle.

1) The side profile is what defines a face best IMO so I model that bit first......then it "just" needs curving into a face shape.

2) I don't use magnet mode that much from scratch. But I did for this model to alter the original mesh. From scratch I like to get the basic shape right for one side and then mirror it. Usually I make the face too fat and forward. So, I thin it out with mirror mode and if the face is too forward, I rotate a piece at the edge so it's more side on. If I can't get a part of a mesh smooth, then I delete the splines and do the 'ol Y key trick.

That's all I can think of. I'm bled dry.

• Admin

Thanks for posting this Ken. Its great to get the view into how you work. Nancy said it all better than me so... reread her post in my voice. ;)

As of this moment at least 52 other people have downloaded and viewed your video so I'd say others have enjoyed it too.

Interesting character too. :)

1) The side profile is what defines a face best IMO so I model that bit first......then it "just" needs curving into a face shape.

2) I don't use magnet mode that much from scratch. But I did for this model to alter the original mesh. From scratch I like to get the basic shape right for one side and then mirror it. Usually I make the face too fat and forward. So, I thin it out with mirror mode and if the face is too forward, I rotate a piece at the edge so it's more side on. If I can't get a part of a mesh smooth, then I delete the splines and do the 'ol Y key trick.

That's all I can think of. I'm bled dry.

Thanks Ken.

I am at the stage where each model requires me to re-think how best to approach it, and I'm hoping it might become more instinctive for me, if I gain insight into your speed methodology. So I will dig a little more for detail, and try to leave some blood (for the next round). As I said before, it seems as if you don't need to even think about how you approach a new model.

When you say you get the basic shape of one side/profile of the face, What is your preferred way of working ?:

1) Which splines do you usually lay down first for a basic shape. For example: Do you prefer to create a rough half shape like a half egg, or cylinder that you mold into shape and then cut holes ? Or do you start with the center profile spline, and add features or do something else ?

2) In what order do you prefer to create the features: eg nose, eyes, mouth ? or ??

3) What is your technique for checking with cfa ? IE, Do you save model first ?, and a) do cfa, undo the cfa, & then make changes to half the face, or b)do you make mirrored changes, then copy paste half into a new model? or c) ??

Thanks again ...(I know there's more blood in there... )

Oh yeah....here it is in mov format. You really aught to ditch the microsoft(?) player. Other free ones let you step through non movs.

1) I extrude a couple of patches down the center line and get the profile. Then I extrude patches out and around the head.

2) At this stage, I've made up a small bank of noses/ears/eyes (that I'm happy with) so I don't really need to "re-invent the wheel" alot now. I can just modify those if they don't look right. But if I were, I would make the nose first. Then the mouth and eyes. Finally the damn ears. :)

3) I always save the model first. ;) When I cfa I make the changes with mirror mode on. Then I copy a side, delete the model and paste the side to make any changes to the mesh. I probably do that about 3/4 times through the model.

brat.mov