Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

rate of speed

johnl3d

I was trying to show as speed increased there was faster tire rotation so I made the rotation in an action and gave it stride length then constrained the tire to a path. the first second I set the ease at 15% so the tire would rotate slow as it moved then at the end of the 3rd second I had ease 100% so it would race to the end.I added some streaks to help show the movement as well as a marking on the tire. Now I ask does this look right?

rate.mov

rate.zip

I was doing this because of a question I received about expressions and I thought this would be easier

Its a little rough but I am half asleep

Johnl3d tink

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Showing things that cycle faster than the camera can capture them is a classic animation problem.

The sharpness of the white section is working agains the impression of speed, I think.

I suppose that white part is a patch, but you might consider applying a decal that has been pre-blurred in a circular fashion to build some "motion" into each frame.

• Admin

This is a little unrelated to what you are investigating but for those focused on the end results more than the math they may want to consider:

A means to counter the illusory effect that Robert mentions regarding movement and timing is to introduce reference points where the eye can track the perceived speed of the object.

For instance, if a square block, building or other object is placed in the scene the viewer automatically perceives the reference of speed related to the moving object. Then it becomes a matter of adjusting the effect to your particular needs.

Without the reference point the eye is often confused. Just as it can be in the real world.

You can recreate reality to a large extent in CG but if a shortcut will do just as well...

Okay I cleaned up the math a little and set up some reference points here is the wheel moving a a constant speed down the course

rate_1.mov

I am now going to try adjusting the speed through the use of the ease on the path and will post it here . I will also double the time .

rate_2.mov

Okay the first secoond the card travels 15% of path then zooms to the finsh

The camera stays at a steady pace and so it gets ahead of the wheel at the beginning

rate_2.zip

Ideas ...sometimes people email me with a question...sometimes a question appears on the forum...sometimes I get an idea after viewing something ...part of this is because I am not great at modeling etc but enjoy playing with all the parts of AM

thats probably why I was nicknamed the Tinkering Gnome

Johnl3d_TG

some of my projects from a website I had were included on the extra dvd. the website had a lot but the site vainshed when the person giving me space vanished. If I have time I plan to rebuild a site now I just have a couple of qt's up www.johnl3d.com. I aslo have a couple of other old sites at least one at geocities do a search for johnl3d and you should find them. I am currently working at a new job (think U-verse) and so do not have much time to create until I get my bio-clock reset

Thanks for the compliments and if you need a dvd full of old projects...

johnl

you can also find a lot of stuff by searching my name on the forum..if there is an old link to johnl.inform.net let me know and I can upload the files