Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to creat a science lab

animation man hi

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in a hurry, you might consider making the background 2D. Otherwise, I would think that a science lab could be conveyed by having black-topped tables and various beakers and test tubes filled with color liquids and some microscopes or the like.

Wow, I think I need a dictionary for that one.

Anyways. I just browsed flickr and yahoo images and have found a few background shots that would be a great start. Could someone post a link to some pics of Klu Klips workshop? That sorta looked like a mad scientists lab and would also be a good start for you.

Could you give us a little more background info on your requirements for this project?

• Hash Fellow
well that's a prblem also it's wierdi place a table in the coragerphy window and try to put acrte on it but the crate stays on the floor anyhelp

change to one of the non-camera views (front or side) and you can move the object up or down. Or turn on the translate tool (n onthe keyboard) and you can drag it in any X Y or Z direction.

(more detail) When you create a choreography, the default view is the camera view - you're looking at things from the camera's viewpoint. While in camera view, when you select an object and move it, you are moving it horizontally on the "ground." That is, mouse left and right work as you would expect but forward and back move the object toward the camera and away from it.

To cure this problem, as Robcat said turn on N or select another view. The obvious choice is front view, which you can select by hitting "2" on your number pad (NOT the "2" at the top of the keyboard, which shares the @ sign). Now you can move the object right, left, up and down. To move it in the Z axis, switch to a side view (numpad 4 or 6).

If you're just starting to use A:M, you should get used to using the numpad to select views right away, and more keyboard shortcuts as fast as you can learn them. A:M is designed to be a "one hand on the mouse, one hand on the keyboard" program.

I personally prefer to have two windows open when I'm doing a choreography. One shows the camera view and the other is front, right, left or whatever I've selected at the moment, which I use to move things around. You get a second window by clicking Window on the toolbar, then New Window. I like them side by side, which you can get by clicking Tile Vertically.

Are you going to be moving the camera around the lab, with different angles and such? - Cuz if you are, 2D pictures won't work, you'll have to build a lab. How long before the project is due, and how many hours can you afford to spend? On the one hand, attacking a big project before you've mastered the program will frustrate the #&!! out of you. On the other hand, there's no better way to get good at it. Maybe tell your teacher what you're trying to do, and trying to learn modelling at the same time, and ask if the deadline can be extended. Then get started and come back here for advice when you get stuck.