Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Horse WIP

Shelton

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

Since the video is only 10 sec in one part and another 10 sec in a sequence of running, I wanted to have the entire body with hair. Also I have purchased AMpaint and want to try it out on this fellow. I will try to update with the eyes and body tonight and hope to be well into applying hair and details by mid week.

Steve

Well, the horse is going to be a paint horse and I have worked on the texturing and hair. When I have added the hair emitters and then saved AM crashes. i just d/l 13 j and I hope that is taken care of. The texture/decaling is coming slower than I thought. I have had more trouble in painting a believable paint horse.

I am looking for Will Sutton's tutorial uv mapping.

Anyway here is an up date on the base color for the paint. the face will be a white with a black mask around the eyes. (actual horse). I hope to get a little further tonight.

Thanks for the comments

Steve

horseytest0.jpg

sidehorsey0.jpg

Hi David

Thanks you are right compared to the rotoscope it was smaller.

Help!! I can not get the tail to look right. In the modeling screen all the hair on the tail is going down, but when rendered the hair is not cooperating. Any thoughts

Steve

sihairhorse0.jpg

Already adhead of you on the shoulder portion of the front legs. I have narrowed the body about 10% and should have an update later tonight.

I can not make up my mind on the mane. As a person who was around horses growing up we kept the mane on our horses cut. Others would grow down aroung the shoulders. But on this model I think it adds more to the horse for a longer mane. I will shoot a render with long mane and rotoscope.

Steve

roto.jpg

I have modeled the mane longer and will keep it this way I think. I am working on rigging tonight. I have tweaked the shoulders and body to give more muscle definition and have reduced the width of the horse body by 10%.

Steve

maneside0.jpg

mane0.jpg

HELP!!

I have tried several styles of decal and textures. What is the best way to decal/texture an animal? I have cut it 1/2 and but with decals it overlaps. i have AM painter but I have not figured out to control the painting of the decal.

Steve

I don't own AM painter, so no help there...

Will Sutton (Zandoria studios) has wonderful uv mapping tutorial (google for zadoria studios, you'll be fine)... I am afraid that it is a bit advanced...

However, it is probably better idea to read AM painter's instructions! You'll have to do it eventually, so why not now? ;)

Hi Steve,

Before you can start painting, your model should have a decal. You can either do this in A:M (as described in William Sutton's tutorial at http://www.zandoria.com/uv.htm) or you could use the automatic decal tool in 3DPainter (as described in chapter 4 of the 3DPainter manual or http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23896).

Best regards,

Filip

Coming along nicely Steve! Yes I would say it would definitely look better if the mane was both longer and thicker... and you could taper the ends of the hairs to get them a more wispy life like hair feel. The eye also doesn't seem quite right unless you're going for a character instead of realism. Horses eyes are mostly shiny blackness.

Keep it up, like watching it come along!

-Ethan

[Edit] Don't know if you already know how to make the hair taper but Colin describes the process well at the bottom of his hair tutorial page.

http://www.colins-loft.net/new_coop_tutorial/CoopHair.html

Thanks for the link on the hair. I have been looking for something like this.

On the eye, you are right about the shine of most horses. This particular paint horse had more brown eyes than most. i will turn down the color to see what it looks like though. Also, in the video I want the eyes to be seen

Steve

I have rendered a test of thicker hair using Colin Freeman's tut. The only problem is the rendering time is about four times longer. The first took about 6 minutes a frame with hair. The new render took almost 23 minutes a frame. With the video of about 1.5 minutes that is a huge render time. I will have to look for a compromise. The thickness is what I want though. The length needs to be increased by about 20% in the main portion of the mane. The horse is a paint but resembles the Spanish Stallions with the color patterns. I will be on vacation for the next two weeks. Heading to Disney World and the Universal Studios in Florida. So it might be a few days before a new update.

Steve

Changed the eyes to a dark, dark brown.

testhair0.jpg