sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Another NASA WIP

Recently i have gotten the oppurtunity to do some more work for NASA ( no pay but it will look good on my resume).

At the NASA Glenn research center several groups are working on designs for the modules to go back to the moon, one of the groups needs some modeling and animation done, and asked if i was up for it. Of course i accepted.

Below is what i have done so far. I am going to have to make a few bump maps and diffuse maps for the lander, but it is pretty much done.

Comments welcome, Ben.

PS the legs are fully articulate, so are the radiator panels (the random black panels).

lander_render_1.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on this opportunity. Nice looking model & set.

Are the legs and tanks supposed to be made from the same materials? I would think the tanks are covered by that gold reflective materials while the legs are stainless? Then again, what do I know, I'm no rocket scientist ;)

The gold reflective mat is called meylar (i think).

It is a type of heat sheild used, the legs are made of aluminum but covered in meylar... I was thinking about remodeling it so you could see the straps causing the fabricy material to bulge.

The gold reflective mat is called meylar (i think).
It's 'Mylar'. We used to have a stock of it in our lab - our remote sensing department used to use on occasion as they were involved in satellite instrument calibration. When our branch secretary retired we wrapped her leaving presents in Mylar (we were in a hurry and couldn't find any wrapping paper in time) making the wrapping far more costly than the contents.

When our branch secretary retired we wrapped her leaving presents in Mylar (we were in a hurry and couldn't find any wrapping paper in time) making the wrapping far more costly than the contents.

When the US gvt. spends $18,000 for a toilet seat, what's a Mylar for gift wrao?

If the lander is supposed to be big enough for human occupants, it looks too small. I'm not sure what to do about it, but at first glance, I would have thought it was about two feet tall. Maybe reduce the size of the dimples in the tank for starters.

The mylar skinned insulating blankets are very expensive but you can buy a mylar helium baloon for a a dollar or two. They are usually silver in color.

I like the lander model. One comment; There is no atmosphere on the moon so the light is fairly non-diffuse, shadows are harsh and very high contrast, almost black. http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/BROWSE/apollo16_1.html

A very cool project!

• Admin
One comment; There is no atmosphere on the moon so the light is fairly non-diffuse, shadows are harsh and very high contrast, almost black.

Great lighting tip. I need to file that one for future use.

"When our branch secretary retired we wrapped her leaving presents in Mylar (we were in a hurry and couldn't find any wrapping paper in time) making the wrapping far more costly than the contents."

Actually, Hefty used to make a Mylar wrapping paper in the late 80s... it was like nine bucks a roll...

The model and render looks great... but...

Come on! It's the new century! Where is the sleek aerodynamic futuristic look? Why can't we have some cool looking designs? Why does all this stuff have to be so dog gone... PRACTICAL?

If we go back to the moon we should do it with some style baby!

Put some fins on it... nurnies... or something. Those legs look just like the ones on the Apollo landers. Can't we have some decent legs on these things? Looks like a big chicken.

... and while I'm on the subject where are the darn jet cars? Why can't I fly to the WaWa with my jet pack? Why don't we all where "earth uniforms" by now? We should all have similar looking outfits by now so we can recognize each other when the aliens are probing us on the ships...

... man! Too much caffiene...

-Vern

Vern, I agree completely... The first thing i said when i got the most basic modeling done was "wow, that thing is ugly...dad, you should watch over your peoples designs a bit more carefully?" ; )

(not to mention that there were about 4 critical errors that had to be fixed : D)

I am on a new computer :) so it will be a day or two before i can get back to AM

Ben