Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Steampunk Samurai Saga (It's a working title...)

Ok, I'm serious about getting this thing done. Rodney, I'm taking your suggestion, and I'm going to concentrate on just getting the first installment done. Then I'll worry about trying to generate interest, and how the heck I'm going to distribute this thing. (I've got some ideas along those lines though).

Here's the basics of the story as it stands so far:

Our two main characters for this installment are travelling from Edo (Tokyo) to Satsuma. The journey is going to have 3 -4 legs, and each one could be traversed using a different form of transportion, giving us a good opportunity to show off the steampunk side of the storyline.

Our two main characters are (I don't have names yet at this point, only historical figures I'm basing some of the characters on, and I don't want to use their real names, with the possible exception of the Emperor Meiji).:

The second in command of the Samurai rebellion

The Boy who would be Shogun

The shogun has recently died under mysterious circumstances, and the Ministers? of government have used this as an opportunity to shift power back to the imperial line, making the young Meiji the ruler of Japan. The Samurai have opposed this power shift, as the ruler of Japan has been a Shogun for centuries, and in that time there has been peace and prosperity.

The Officials claim that there is no suitable replacement for the Shogun, hence the shift back to imperial power. Though, in truth, the emperor is also a young boy, not much older than our hero. And where our hero has had training as a warrior, strategist, and statesman (Though he has not yet been told that he was to be the successor to the Shogun), the young emperor has led the pampered life of a noble. (Remember, he wasn't really supposed to assume power. It would have been likely that the late Shogun would have lived for another 30-40 years, had he not died mysteriously).

It should be somewhat apparent that the Emperor is merely a pawn being manipulated by the government officials. The Ministers pressure the young emperor into declaring the Samurai to be traitors for opposing his assumption of power, and it is here that our first installment actually begins.

The second in command has been tasked with getting our young hero to Satsuma safely, and speedily. It will not be an easy task, as they are wanted outlaws. Expect them to have to evade police constantly, and even do battle with Ninjas along the way. (That, along with filling in the backstory, and setting up some of what's to come, should fill enough pages I think. )

When they finally arrive in Satsuma, they will discover that the leader of the rebellion has not arrived, which will set up what they'll need to do in the next installment.

What I'm going to need for right now, is some suggestions of other interesting steampunk style modes of transportation they can take on their journey, so feel free to chime in with some wacky ideas here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definitely sounds like you have done your research. I'm sure, with your skill, the models will not be too hard. As for transportation, I think... well, I don't know, really. It would help if I knew what time period, because I have most definitely not done my research on Japan and all that. If I did, I might have an idea of when Edo was named Tokyo or when shoguns existed. (I know I should remember this stuff from LAST YEAR'S history class :rolleyes: )

Sounds cool! B) What's a "steampunk"?

As I understand it, Steampunk is a style where futuristic sci-fi is used in a setting in the past. Something like in the movie the Sky Captain of Tomorrow, or in games such as Command & Concour Red Alert. I think :blink:

As for transportation, I think... well, I don't know, really. It would help if I knew what time period, because I have most definitely not done my research on Japan and all that. If I did, I might have an idea of when Edo was named Tokyo or when shoguns existed.

For what it's worth, the Meiji restoration was completed in 1868 in this universe. (Since this is a steampunk setting, it's going to be an alternate universe with more advanced technology.)

Sounds cool! B) What's a "steampunk"?

As I understand it, Steampunk is a style where futuristic sci-fi is used in a setting in the past. Something like in the movie the Sky Captain of Tomorrow, or in games such as Command & Concour Red Alert. I think :blink:

Actually, Steampunk is more akin to high-tech devices that use either steam, clockwork or both to operate. Movies such as Steamboy and Howels (sp?) moving castle are great examples, Back to the Future 3 (in the western town, and Doc's train), 20,000 leagues under the sea, as well as the Briscoe County Jr. series, the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, and there are plenty other examples. Sky Captain is more along the lines of the old pulp sci-fi comic books/magazines from the 40's and 50's (no steam operated devices).

Also, lots of brass is used...lots and lots of brass. Think Jules Verne. Btw, for a fun "steampunk" ride, go on the astro orbitor at Disneyland.

Hope that helps.

Here's a nice example of a robot gunfighter that was used in one of the episodes (though this is someone's 3D rendition) http://www.mateengreenway.com/steampunk/steelyjoe2.jpg

And here's the site for the guy who did a lot of design work for the Jules Verne show:

(this is the cowboy page...but there are links to other drwaings at the bottom): http://www.fictionscience.com/julesVerne_06.html

o. I didn't understand what steampunk meant otherwise I didn't really need to say that. Airships were always my favorite kind of (steampunk?) travel. I'm getting confused on the definition of steampunk with these different posts popping in contradicting each other :P .

Oh, hey, that's convenient. I've got a samurai model I was working on a while ago. Its just the armor though, never got around to the face and feet and hands, buuut... Its pretty good. (well, I like it at least lol) If you want it for like some random guy in the background or somethin you can have it. Let me know if you're interested. Cool. later-

o. I didn't understand what steampunk meant otherwise I didn't really need to say that. Airships were always my favorite kind of (steampunk?) travel. I'm getting confused on the definition of steampunk with these different posts popping in contradicting each other :P .

The pretty much official definition of Steampunk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Interesting. Just Googled "SteamPunk studios" (mine I tell ya!!! unless of course someone already owns it).

Anywhoo...

This is a very interesting thread that might be of some help:

http://baegtobar.com/baegtobar/viewtopic.php?t=380

edit: Doh, steampunkstudios.com is already registered.

Xade, I'd really like to see that armor.

Here's a breif update: After a somewhat depressing e-mail from Christina 'Smudge' Hanson on the current state of the comics industry, I found myself looking at Vodcasts again. I looked at what ZachBG has been up to, and even though he hasn't been getting the greatest reviews in the world, (Zach, I'd have given you a better one, but I don't have a credit card to sign up), I see potential in the format. Video I-pods are pretty new, and I've seen that some newer cellphones are even including i-tunes. It's already setup to charge for downloads too, if it ever gets to the point where there are enough people interested. The other thing I like is the screen size. When you're planning on rendering at 320x240, you can get away with a lot as far as modeling and texturing are concerned.

So, the question is, at low res, using simplified models with complex(But lower res) textures, (Think Video Games), using limited animation, how much story could be churned out in one month with a small team? And could that chunk of story be enough to (eventually) get a buck or two for? And if not, is it worth pursuing to try to become a "recognizable commodity"?

Ok, here it is. It was for a character I came up with so its semi cartoonish, but based on what some real armors looked like. Let me know if you want to use it and I'll send it to you via email. If you dont want it then whatever. Cool! Good luck with everything. later-

post-1815-1139290531_thumb.jpg

Xade, I'd really like to see that armor.

Here's a breif update: After a somewhat depressing e-mail from Christina 'Smudge' Hanson on the current state of the comics industry, I found myself looking at Vodcasts again.

Don't get your hopes down yet. I'll send you an email that might just lift your spirits.

Greg

I'd had another idea about what to do with this story. That is to hang onto it, work on a complete script, (possibly storyboards) and wait until TWO is out the door and pitch it as the next Hash Movie Project. But I guess that would depend on the success of TWO, and wether or not Martin likes my story...

Lazlo, I'm not as experienced in the industry as Christina. I'm just an amature animation enthusiast who would be quite content with showing his work either here in A:M films or in an Animation Festival. So, here's my two cents worth a penny and a half:

Go for it dude - just go for it. Do it. Whether TWO succeeds or not, just do it. If anything you can use it in building your portfolio.

• Admin
After a somewhat depressing e-mail from Christina 'Smudge' Hanson on the current state of the comics industry

As sobering as it can be that is exactly what you need to hear.

I was confident Christina would tell you it like it is.

Even bad news isn't always negative. Resistance is vital in channeling our efforts.

Bjorn Cole has a write up on his site that I think should be required reading for all artists.

It covers the stages we go through on the road to creating successful projects.

Pay special attention to the 'bitterness curve': Project Management Discussion

Its also a sobering but necessary examination of what we face in the creative process.

I'm confident the journey will be worth it but only if you really want to take it.

If you'd rather be doing something else... do that instead.

Gambate Kudasai!*

Rodney

*Japanese for "Please give (us) your very best!"