Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Starting Over

• *A:M User*

Well, after loosing the last model, I took a few days away from the computer and started with a new idea. I just started with the head and will try to get the ear and hair tomorrow. I worked hard on getting the eyes in and with Colin Freeman's advise I actually got the thing in on the second try. This is the first model I have been able to shut the eyes properly. I have a lot of clean up.

One thing I noticed and maybe why I get spline heavy is a spline one at a time. Some of the other models updated lately look wonderful with so few spline. How do they do that?

Will up date as I go

Steve

:huh:

hero0.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the other models updated lately look wonderful with so few spline. How do they do that?

Good spline placement and bias tweaking, Steve. I still can't get as clean as some of the modeling I've seen lately...it takes a lot of practice. Nice start on your model.

Hey Steve,

Its looking really good. The eyes are spot on. there seems to be a crease or something around the sides though. Probably just needs to be budged a bit.

The chin seems out of proportion (at least for a realistic head) but that may be what you're going for if the style is more charicature than photoreal.

I usually treat the chin like an hourglass shape. It pinches just below the lip and flares (depending on the chin) toward the jaw.

Its looking great! Keep up the good work.. and post a wireframe. Maybe we can help with the low spline thing.

C

Colin

The character is destined to be a comic book figure. The chin of Wolverine is what I was looking for. he has strong but small chin. What I ended up with is more of a rounded chin.

I have u/l wire frame. I have to start using this as a tool more often as I see a number of areas that could cause some problems and ones that are already. On the chin: I have made some adjustments to the chin but wanted to keep a narrow base. I wanted a strong jaw with the cheek tuck in toward the nose.

I am also concerned about the upper lip area. It appears that it this area is sticking out to far. if you go to a side view it does not appear that way.

From a side view I want the figure to have a flater fase with a Roman style nose. At the bridge it was drop back into the face. As you can see I may have overdone that.

Steve

:unsure:

wire0.jpg

work.jpg

Steve,

the wireframe looks pretty good, but it highlights a few areas I'd think about changing.

the upper lip has to many horizontal splines I think. Not much happens right under the nose as far as animation goes, so you shouldn't need so many splines. The action areas on the mouth would be at the sides and lower lip. the upper mainly purses or snarles. You could probably actually run two of those upper lip splines coming from the eyes down under the mouth to give it more of a wrap and use some of the splines that are curling up from the upper lip as downward splines for frown lines. Wolverine scowls allot more than he smiles ;-)

As it is none of the splines from the upper lip go down toward the jaw. I think this goes against the topology

of the face a little. the lines running from the nose down and the upper lip all flow down from the face unless

you are smiling. Since you want to model in neutral poses.. perhaps you should run some of the upper lip horizontal splines down over the side of the lip. Check out the "witch" I did to see what I mean.

His jawline could flare a little at the back for a more muscular look and pull some of the patches at the sides of the lip down and in for a stronger less blocky chin.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm tearing him apart. I'm not. He's a very strong model as he stands right now, but I think he could be better with a few tweaks.

If something I said doesn't make since.. send me a note or ask it here and I'll elaborate.

C

Ho Colin

After see the image render 3/4 shot with the splines I agree about to many lines above. The main emphasis that I wanted from Wolverine was the chin and with your suggestions I might be able to salvage that. I will upload later tonight with the changes.

Steve

I have u/l wire frame.

Hmm..high spline? Not terribly, unless you are comparing with ..say...me. ('m obessed with low-res geometry because I have an obsessively slow&behind-the-times computer.) Seems fairly economical, really. I could eliminate maybe 10 or so splines but that's it.

Here is the wire and rework of the front of the face. I am going back and work on the eye socket and will pull the eyes in slightly. That should give more of the hour glass you talked about Colin. I will begin fleshing out the lips the give some body to them.

Steve

front0.jpg

frontrendered0.jpg

Hi Dan

I have gone back and reduce the count on the chin upper lip and check. I am starting on the back and top of the head. The eyes I will leave alone for now and the ears are a nightmare. I have hooks and altered the cps until I am tired of looking at ears.

I will keep working on reducing the patch count as I go. Thanks for the comments

Steve

Of the five characters I have modeled, none have had hair I liked. In fact, two of them I hid the hair with a cap. But this character I wanted to have blond flowing hair. I have tried twice and well I am not going to u/l the file because it is embarassing. I need some help on hair. I have looked at this forum and I am impressed with the hair I have seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve