Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rocket engine

nf1nk

It has been a while since I posted anything so I have the engine I am working on. (Some day I will get back to working on the bar scene just not today) This is a sort of fantasy rocket engine that will have moving flashing lights inside of it (thus the clear sections) I am trying to figure out how to rig a big crysta to the top of it as well as more hoses and some structure, but for now here it is in its unfinished un textred glory.

post-3432-1134286044_thumb.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Just curious about all the tubing. How are you doing that, sweep? What version of AM are you using? I am wondering about jumping from V.11.1 to V.12."

I am using version 11 (but am planning on buying the 2006 disk) The tubing is done with the dupilicator wizard and some hand positioning to clean it up. you would be surprized what you can do with it

"I didn't realize there was a tube spiraling around that "bowl"? Being an HVAC engineer, I'd assume it's a defrost tube?"

On real rocket engines there isn't actualy isn't a tube spirling around the bowl (on any real engine I have seen), for the most part there are instead lots of little tubes that go paralel to the rocket thrust with evenly spaced pressure manifolds to deal with the changing bell diameter. the cryogenic fuel is run along the outside of the bell and throat to keep thing from melting. I put the spiral around the outside because I wanted to, and I think it looks cool. This engine is a mix of real and fantasy I we have things like glass cooling fins on injectors (how is that for thermal conductivity :) ).

since I am working on my ME degree I had interesting Thermo teacher who showed slides on rocket engines and during a lecture on entropy I scetched this on my note pad. I started work on the model after finals, and I realize I still don't get entropy...

Here is an update on the engine I added a light to each of the cylinders and this upped the time to render by about 3. It is almost unaccaptable (almost 1.5 hr), I was thinking about removing the reflectivity from the metal since it was supposed to be dull metal and losing the refletion might speed up the render time

post-3432-1134698915_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's some nice green fire you got there... Is it stylaized? or is it just the blue sky mixing with the yellow fire to make the outer flame green? Cool engine

There are blue flames and yellow flames I guess when they mix you get green. Of course if you are running a copper liner at excessive temp you will get green highlights in your rocket plume. Strangly some of the newest rockets I have been reading about run copper liners, because of its high ductility and ability to conduct heat. I lke the effect so it stays