Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First Animated Short Film Complete

Hello,

I just finally finished my first animated short film. It took me 18 months to complete but finally got it done. I want to thank everyone who answered my posts when I ran into problems your help was much appreciated.

Anyway, if you want to take a look at it, I would love any comments - good or bad - here is the website I created for it.

"Samurai Gumstick - The Evil Fly"

http://www.samuraigumstick.com (click on "LOAD: THE EVIL FLY MOVIE" button")

Thanks again,

Eric LoCascio

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Congratulations on finishing your first movie!

I like the fact that it's a "silent movie", meaning it's all told thru the visual.

There were several moments where the exact intention of the interaction between the characters eluded me. It might be something as simple as a different camera angle to fix that.

If martial arts conventions ever have film festivals (like anime conventions sometimes do) you should enter it.

Fantastic achievement...

Above all else... without commenting on anything else... you should be applauded and feel proud that you actually... DID IT!

So many of us want to have a completed project... but you did it.

-----------

Now the icky part... some constructive comments. Most of my comments won't even require rerendering... just some editing.

----------

It could be shortened somewhat. There is a ton of repetition. Some of the "gags" are done the same way over and over too many times... some of the "gags" or bits were not done enough (I loved the POV of the flying chase sequence).

The fight scenes were very well done... and initially it was hysterically funny... a Samurai trying to kill a fly with a sword... that was funny... in the beginning it was hysterical... when the fly was on his back. However this concept went on longer than it needed to and was repeated too much. The humor was there, don't kill it with repetition.

In my mind this could be cut down by a third or even more, it would tighten it up and not lose the ADD audience.

;)

You kicked some arse dude. I feel somewhat hypocritical commenting since I haven't finished even one of my projects... good or bad... but still. I see the potential in what you have and some judicious editing would make it even better.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Bravo!!! Anyone that knows all the work that goes into producing something like this, is very proud of you right now.

Love the flips. Jeff Lew would be proud as well. Great sound effects. Pretty good animation over all. The only one request I have, is that I would love to see those wings flap on the flyes.

Great job man!

WOW great short!

I really liked everything about it. character designs, lighting, sound effects animation style all seem to work really well together.

I agree you could have shortened it up some but most 3d shorts of this length I cant even watch all the way through because they are so slow paced and boring. You did a good job of keeping it interesting and fun to watch.

Looking forward to seeing your next short.

COOL movie!!!

Congratulations on the finished movie... I am trying to make my martial arts movie for sime time now... somehow life always gets in a way, I guess your cool movie will give me necessary nudge to finally do my own thing...

I would agree that it loses somewhat of its appeal for being tad too long... If you shorten it to half of its length it would make it much better and more enjoyable...

I would also like to see those flies flap their wings (you could easily achive it with repeating action)

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!!

Drvarceto

I liked it too. I agree with Vern that some of the fighting dragged. I could see that we were building in rediculousness as the fight went on, but maybe the tempo of the fight should have sped up too.

Also, I thought it was interesting to find that a lot of the fighting animation was good, but the other stuff like walks and jumps were less convincing. I'd recommend some time on the basics, but you should feel pretty good about your ability over all.

Congrats on getting a piece done!