Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dragon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great looking dragon! I like the detail and the whole composition.

I'm wondering if the image could be improved if the sky was darker and the dragon had more light thrown on it? It might just be me, or my monitor, but the dragon looks almost sillhouetted against the sky.

That model is stunning though. Really good work :D

Thanx for the advice! I'm not particularly good on lighting so this will be a good chance to learn.

I copied the choreography and made a new one with just one keylight and this is what happened. Strange, isn't it? The dragon model has its own specular size and intensity maps (same bump image), so i'm starting to guess that it has something to do. All the way before making the final render I struggled with the dragon, it looks darker than the rest of the elements no matter what i do. Any idea would be very helpful. :)

post-8-1111772389.jpg

Did that before putting the single keylight in a new choreography. It was completely black except for the eyeballs, because I made a slightly ambience material for them. I think its more related to the specular size and intensity maps.

I made a dome of rim lights, 9 in total, pointing at the dragon from all sides, white color at 50 percent with z-buffered shadows. The result is better now. What do you think? Maybe I'll stick to make a realistic effect using lots of lights from all kind of directions instead of trying to achieve them with specular values or my failed intempt of radiosity (my computer crashes everytime I enable radiosity, even with the lower values).

Unfortunately, I'll be out of service for a day or two because my PC is about to explote if I don't put windows in a faster hardrive, so I bought a faster disk and I'll reinstall it with all the programs, I'll be very thankful of any advice of how to make a spectacular lighting with this dragon guy.

Thanx! :D

post-8-1111785178.jpg

thats a really nice model, but i would suggest some style now. I probably will be blown off because im a noob, but i think that adding some tears in the wings with trans maps, and a more harsh look to the dragon would make it more popular. I would vote for it more likely if it was an evil/cool dragon

WHAATT???? Doesn't it look evil enough for you!?

Just kidding, hehe. I agree with the torn wings, so I made a slight change in the wing transparency map. I made the skin color a bit brighter so I could compensate the dark overall look of the dragon in the rest of the environment.

I'm still struggling with the lights and the deadline is almost over! :blink: AARGH this is a lot of pressure!

post-8-1111956238.jpg

now have bug crawling between his teeth, and mold coming out of his ears! Maggots oozing out of his eyes, snakes wriggling through his mouth!

Lol..just kidding..lighting is tough...right now you're on your way to a great scene..just keep at it..other than that, the tears in the wings are great

Yes, good job with the wings . . . now for the half eatn bodies . . . jk. That dragons gonna kill my lousy entry in the image contest . . . <_>

One thing about the lighting, you might want to put the dragon in a cave, with a single volumetric light filtering through the cave top and use turbulence for that good ol dusty look. (This might not be possible but it would be cool if he was on a big rock infront of a cave lake, with caustics reflecting that lone light onto the ceiling) JUST A SUGGESTION!

but it would look really freakin cool

Done!!! :D

Image created with 6 final rim lights, a volumetric light for the background, some changes in textures like the rock and a shadow on its eyes to make it look even badder, some depth of field and 36 steps of final rendering. Now he's ready to kick some ass and eat some human flesh! B)

Good suggestion, Ben. Maybe later, though. I plan to finish the image this century, hehe. I have lots of plans for this guy, probably in animated features. The cave idea is great, so i'll keep it in mind. Expect more to come! I have to email the render for the hash contest now.

Thanx for all the suggestions and crits! :)

post-8-1111990624.jpg

Hey! I've just noticed that I became a master! Master? I'm just a kid with not that amount of experience for crying out loud! But I accept the name with happiness and honor... So...

Where is my fruit basket? Or my toaster? A puppy? No prices? Then a date with some supermodel? No?

I've always wanted to know how come some of you guys can change the title "master" for things like "A:M aholic"... Where do you edit that? Please tell me because I want to put something funny or stupid instead of master. I don't deserve that title yet.

lol i think you get the name "master" at 100 posts. at this time you cannot change master to something nifty. at 200 posts, however, you can. (look at mine) Once you are at 200+ posts, you can change it in your options.

I want to put something funny or stupid instead of master. I don't deserve that title yet.

Heh, I am a huge noob, and hey, I'm a 'master'...hmmmmmmm...well its only referring to versions of A:M i think

Ooh ok, got it... 100 more posts to go... :blink:

Sure Newbert, i think i'll do a small flying cycle... ;)

Hey, just another doubt... I mailed the final render to steve@hash.com but it says there that the images are going to be voted on the forum, at the stills gallery... Do I have to upload it there too?

Nope, all entries for this go to Steve. Nice image too. Before you had added your lights (nice job btw), I was going to recommend downloading Yves skylight rigs. The add a lot of depth and reality to a scene.

Good luck in the contest! :)

Greg

Guest jandals

All around a really nice image. Good stuff.

But the thing that got me to look twice was the saliva in his mouth. That little detail added a lot IMO. Did you model a tubular strand for it?

Thanx for the comments :D

But the thing that got me to look twice was the saliva in his mouth. That little detail added a lot IMO. Did you model a tubular strand for it?

Yeah, just a cylinder with 90% transparency which I added a few times in the choreography.