Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

JUGGERNAUT

:( I have been working feverishly to get an entry into the image contest but due to a failing hard drive will not be able to enter on time, just so everyone doesn't think I was just a gasbag - here is a glimpse of my mechanical entry wannabe main focus. The texture needs to be scaled way down, (I had to re-create it and didn't have it backed up in time) and a few other tweaks, the pose was also lost....

Medium intensity critiques are ok, I'm sensitive so don't bash me too bad - I am not fishing for praise, this image is not worthy of any-

PROGRESS.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B) I placed 1 main particle emitter across the whole of the mouth (a 4 patch curved wedge that is smaller than the mouth) and a particle emitter at each corner of the mouth, the eyes also have an emitter each (doesn't show really in this pic) as well as the chest & upper abdomen.

The concept being that they are a mechanical army, fueled by alchemy and motivated (controlled) by the dead spirits of ancient Atlantean soldiers (no relation to the "Stargate" TV / Movies). The spirits using the energy created by the alchemical fire poured down the metallic mouth, to power the mechanicle monsters by force of will. I chose a green smoke / fire over a normal red to create a more unnerving effect.

The particle emitter is the one from Colin Freemans post (thanks dude), the Armour surface (a rusty metal surface) uses AM fMB noise plugin.

When I get my new hard drive installed and reload all my software, I will get back to work on it (at a slower pace), I printed myself a screenshot of the pose I created (and lost) so re-creating it shouldn't be too hard. Thats when the project really starts to make me proud. I did save a screen grab or two from before I clenched his fingers I can post, the fire is set correctly in them I will try to attach.

pose1wire.jpg

:blink: Couldn't post 2 images here is the other:

Also this is before I did a major modification on the elbow, wrist & knee lames, (armour shoulsn't have huge gaps should it?). I will post more pics once my home PC is back among the living. :o)

pose1surface.jpg

Edited by UNGLAUBLICHUSA

But...but..we want more pictures NOOOOWWWWW! ;) Seriously, looking forward to seeing more.

Edit: Hey - you are in Streamwood! I'm in West Dundee! Spent about a year in Schaumburg about a year or so ago as well. :) Wonder how many Chicagoland A:Mers are out there...

Tom

The Chicago AM group meets the first Saturday of the month. They use a yahoo group to communicate.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chicago-masters/

I have not been to the meetings is a few months because of a whole comedy of conflicts on Saturday mornings. But they are quite active. If you join the yahoo group, I am sure they will be able to answer your questions. Or you can ask me :-)

I live in northeast Eglin. So, I am almost between you two.

• 4 weeks later...
:( AAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!! I scaled down the texture, smartskinned the piss out of the lames, ran him through the Setup Machine....but now a simple move of its hand sends its upper arm parts flying away from the body...will try to work more on this 2 nite..in the meantime here is the adjusted material:

juggernaut2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

<_ nope no scale issue...in the meantime i have been feverishly working on opponent for juggernauts mighty malevolent>

There are some problems though, in the quick preview screen grabe I took, the hooks are quite obvious, I don't know if they are supposed to dissapear upon a real render or not (anyone have the answer?) but where the tentacles join the main 'body/head' there are some hard edges and gaps.

I'm sure most can agree with me on how frustrating it is to know what you can do but not having enough spare time to do it.

SQWID3.jpg

:blink: Well I did enter, even though I am far from satisfied with the result. Just doesn't seem to be enough time to do things the way I wan't, that and I am still learning how to do anything other than Model in AM (I think I can do that). Here is my submission and my own critiques,

1. Background image on large patch behind scene (of mountains & clouds) does not show up.

2. Bump map on ground does not appear, only the separate color map I used for the bump shows.

3. The pebbly dark grey "stuff" to the right is actually 2 stucco houses, I don't know why this older texture (I thought I deleted) still was applied, makes it look like a jagged grey lump.

4. Brown rocks don't look "rocky" enough.

5. Light grey plug shaped item to the left was supposed to have a smoke emitter - couldn't get it to work, no way - no how, green fire emitters on the juggernauts worked just the way I wanted.

6. Ran out of time, wanted to add more juggernauts & Sqwid's.

7. Scene needs to be lit darker with the key light positioned lower.

Next on my list is to not enter the next contest, but instead read up & experiment to learn how to get the effects I wanted to achieve this time. I wanted to enter this contest as a personal milestone, not to win.

Constructive criticism is welcome on this particular piece, if you see where I could have done better (that I already know) please explain how so I can improve my skills- thanks.

JUGGERNAUT_0011.jpg

Apart from the materials, for me, it's hard to see what's going on exactly. Obviously they're aliens, so that makes it harder, but I think placing the camera in a different position might help. I can't tell what the main subject is.

I notised one thing: one of the vases, the one that has fallen on the side, it seems to be "glitching" trough the floor. I like the Juggernauts, but one of them seems to be in a very odd pose, the one in the middle. Then again, that's just an opinnion.

EDIT: Ken, isn't it obvious? ;) The iiiiiiiivel Squidd is attacking!! RUNAWAY!!

Edited by Mr. Jaqe

B) Ken & Joakim, thanks - I guess I never noticed the vase..and I should have blocked the shot differently thats true, my focus has always been on the juggernaut #3 from the left who is pushing foreward, I think I should have moved him farther foreward, lowered the camera and forced the perspective some. Good crits.