sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cel Shade or Basic 3D?

Dascurf

We are working on our first CG film over here after a few years of traditional stop-motion work.

Our problem is in deciding which route to take. We are leaning toward cel shading for the project we are planning. It seems to compliment the stop-motion work done in the past, but second opinions are always welcome here. So... what do you think:

3-D?

Daughter_3D%20copy.jpg

or

Cel Shade?

Daughter_Cel%20copy.jpg

I have a little poll on my site for those that care to participate:

Justincurfman.com News

Here are some of our past stop-motion films

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your previous examples I would go with the style of the top image but it is really down to the mood that you are trying to convey. I'm still waiting for 'Zugskin' to start playing. Perhaps you have attrackted alot of viewers at the moment.

Oh, it has just played through.

Umm... some interesting imagery there. Really not my sort of thing but you have obviously put alot of effort in there. Personally I find it too disturbing to go back and watch again. I hope that you can find a more positive message for your next piece.

:huh:

I had a look at Zugskin.

Although it's not my kind of thing, I thought there were some good shots in there.

Actually, it reminds me a bit of the video from Tool (Sober)...it has a similar kind of feel to it (dark and depressing).

Interesting...

Eugene

uh... hmm....er....

My sister is a therapist... I may show this to her to get some insight... I think you may have some issues. (I never EVER tell her my dreams anymore).

Meanwhile...

I would go with the "realistic" shading. Toon style is not going to reflect a stop motion feeling... toon is a style of its own. If you want to come up with a similar style to stop motion that is. If you want to develop a new style, the best way is to experiment. You could do a combination of both.

p.s. Funny story!

Just O.D.'d on season 4 of CSI on DVD....

At the end of Zugskin, I kept expecting the CSI crew to come in and figure out what happend...

"Look at the bugs! We need Grissom!"

"Warrick, check that bath tub for DNA."

p.s.s. Yes a warning would be nice in the future for this type of content. I have to watch Toy Story now to clense my brain.

Vernon "!" Zehr

I definitely think 3D is stronger stylistic choice for the moody/horror style you're trying to convey. The shadows are stronger and more intense.

Even though you could probably adjust the cel shading for deeper shadows, the line drawn style evokes cartoons. And cartoons connote kids shows and cutesyness more than horror.

Maybe you're trying to satirize kids shows through horror but the traditional cartoon association would strongly affect the overall mood - while the 3D look wouldn't do it as much.

My two cents.