sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Ice Sports Arena

Heiner

Hi there,

this is a project i am working on, it is for a little comercial, which should go into the local movie theathers. As you can see, the volumetric lightning is really out of controll, and till now, i dont have a clue, how to arcive the desired effect. Any suggestions on the volumetric settings?

Thanks

Heiner

Eissporthalle_Test_B_0.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are you achieving your volumetrics? It looks as though you used a mesh to emit mist/dust. Try using a series of klieg lights with volumetrics turned on in its properties. Adjusting the falloff and intensity of the light to get the look you want.

p.s. Nice set.

You seem to be using the default values???

click the little triangle thing next to Volumetric and you will see Quality-Brightness-Contrast settings:

you can adjust the brightness of the effect by lowering that number... and you can increase the quality of the "light casting edges" by increasing the Quality... Contrast gives you a more defined "light"edge. Personally, I like to use the Z-buffered shadows for this because they are faster and not as hard edged as the raytraced.

And you could change the Map resolution under Cast Shadows to a higher setting.

What do you want the lights to look like? The ones you have there look pretty good to me.

Nice arena! Here's another option...

I had similar difficulties to adjust volumetric light in my theater setup. My problem was to get balance between volumetric effect and effective lighting. I finally decide to split in two, and get one klieg for the light and shadow, and another one fully constrained to the first one, just to create the volumetric effect.

For volumetric, I prefer the one with very low brightness (under 10), and very low intensity. Fall-off is also a major factor to adjust like MTPeak suggest. Due to render time consideration, I didn't add any turbulence, but you might consider this option.

(render with 8.5h)

Hi folks,

thanks for the input, it gave me quite some ideas where i make my mistakes. In fact i am using "real volumetrics", not only geometry which simulates the volumetrics. Hi knbits, that theather of yours is quite cool, and it gives me the feeling, that the image which i have in my mind can be archived with A:M (i never had real doubts about this, but sometimes one gets unsure).

I guess the trick lies within the balance of Light strength, fall off, Quality, brightness and contrast.

Thanks all!

Heiner