Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Under Water math teacher

Hi Guys (and galls):

Let me introduce you to the 1st grade Math teacher of the reefs. Done mostly in Hash, I gotta admit that there is a lot of Photoshop in here. However it is a "still", and sometimes it is faster to work on something directly in PS, than to model it and mold it into a pose. At least for me it is anyway.

I hope you like it, and as usual critiques and comments welcomed.

Hope to hear from all of you soon,

Jose

(aprentice)

post-8-1093008963.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Count me as a fan too! I like the look.

Sure wish they had fun 3D characters like that to guide me through math when I was kneehigh to a grasshopper.

Like others, I'd like to hear more about your project!

Best,

Rodney

Thank you all for your comments.

To tell you a little more about the project, this was comissioned for a book cover illustration. Because it was for a Mathematics first grade textbook, the publishers wanted something that was about making math fun for kids. The art director was crazy about, yep you guessed it, "Finding Nemo", and so he along with the editor, decided they wanted an underwater scene with playful characters.

After a few character sketches and a couple of Adobe Illustrator color layouts, this little character came about. Gotta tell ya the truth though, one thing is to do a character in 2D and another is to bring to life in 3D. So really, I should be thanking you guys for the help, because in all honesty, I've learned almost everything about AM here in the forums studying and learning from all of you.

For all interested in how I got the job, it was really a matter of being in the right place at the right time combined with a little persistance. I say this, because a few years ago, I decided to pursue a little more aggresively my illustration career. Being a full time graphic designer, I thought something was missing, after all illustrating was, and still is, my first love. So I put a mini HTML slide show together showing off some of the work I had done previously using "Ray Dream Studio". Among the piesces was an underwater scene I had done. I sent it to every email I could find, targeting specially book publishers (since this is where I had the most experience with). Out of dozens of emails, only one called me up, but it was the right one, and I've been busy ever since.

I hope this answers your questions.

By the way, thank you William for the compliment. Cute is good (I think).