Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Ocean Surface Test

During the last couple of weeks I have done some experiments with realistic Ocean Waves in Animation Master. For now there is only one image to watch, but I'm working on a short animation that I hope to be able to show in a day or two.

OceanLoop01Still01.jpg

(The image is rendered with the simplest possible environment. No sky sphere, one single sun light and a simple reflecting gradient material.)

Click here, for more information on this (The page will be updateted as the "project" evolves.)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks great :D . Be interested to see how it moves. :)

Please be patient ;) I'll post the animation in a couple of hours... I hope...

That looks sweet but I've got to ask you, is this done using a flat plane? Also, how long did it take to render this image?

"a simple reflecting gradient material???"

wow... I'd like to know how you did that...

-The water is a flat plane with displacement and bump maps.

-The frame took about 10s to render. The problem is calculating the map images.

-The gradient material is the 'standard method' in A:M to fake the Fresnel Equation. In my image I have only reflections and no refraction. With both reflections and refractions together with a sky dome and something interesting floating on the water I think it might be rather convincing :ph34r:

Since v11, reflections are handling Fresnel correctly.

Yes, I know and I guess the water will be even more convincing not having to fake the Fresnel Equation. Thank you for that Yves!

I'll have to concentrate on the animation part first though... :)

Now I've finished a short ocean movie. It loops nicely, but the period is too short to give a natural look. It's no fundamental problem to make the period longer, though.

I believe it's a rather encouraging first test however. What do you think? Is this anything that could be useful?

Thank you all for your kind words!

looks great! Yes it is something very useful, please post more!!  :)

Actually there isn't much more to show for now. I could render a movie from a different view or even with a new set of decals, but it wouldn't be fundamentally different.

My ambitious goal have been to make a user friendly tool to make realistic oceans in A:M. I also have ideas of how to add buoyancy dynamics and object-water interaction effects like ripples, splashes or foam, but I'm not sure if I could find the time to make this effort if it's only you and I and maybe some more that find it useful. :rolleyes:

I will post any progress on this forum, but it might take some time before I have anything interesting to show.

Very Nice! There appears to be a couple of jerky parts, but other than that, it looks very promising! Are you going to create a tutorial? I would like to try and play with creating an ocean scene someday.

Can you post a wire frame image? Are you going to render it with a realistic environment?

[...]  Are you going to create a tutorial?

Not for a method, but for the 'Ocean Generator' when (if) its ready ;)

I would like to try and play with creating an ocean scene someday.

If you like to play with this you may download an A:M project file for the first frame. The whole movie project is to large though. You'll have to wait for the 'Ocean Generator'...

The ocean generator would be a great addition to A:M. I've downloaded your project file (thanks) and have a few questions.

How did you create the movement of the waves?

Is it part of the ocean generator? Different perimeter setting?

If not.....

Did you use a distortion box, magnet mode or change the displacement and bump percentage of the decals?

Or none of the above.

Thanks again.

P.S. I'm sure there is alot more people interested in your efforts to produce such a tool than there seems to be. And I hope you decide to continue your efforts. Looking forward to your finished product.

Looks really cool, although the animation is fairly flawed.

Examples, sometimes the displacement maps are way to short and seem to jerk straight up instead of to the sides and up, like a wave should.

Also, the water level seems to rise and fall quite a lot, and it doesn't seem to be wave like in it's rising.

Awesome ocean material though, so far it's perfect for stills, after some tweaking it will be more than suitable for animation.