Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Plasma Ball

I think I have finally found the look I was going for with the plasma ball I was making. The 'electricity' is oddly enough..glowing hair and you can see the wireframe below. If theres anything else I can change please tell me...hope you like it!!

Plasma%20Ball.jpg

Plasma%20Ball%20Wire.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Yes it is pretty patch heavy and I should eliminate some splines..

Almost forgot to tell you the settings for the hair..its hard to descibe since I keyframed the heck out the thickness and color. I figured out it looked most like electricity when its extremely thin because then the glow takes over. It about .04 thickness and then at the tip its like 3 which makes it look like its spreading over the glass. As for the glow..in the choreography the percentage is around 500%

Hey, that looks great. I think you nailed it. I agree about a different material on the base though, the one you have is kind of clumpy, takes away from the image. Maybe something like a more hard edged plastic look.

Great Job!

Thanks!! I thought the plastic looked kind of weird too so I think I'll smooth it out, the only reason I did that was because the real thing was kinda bumpy. I tryed it without bumps already and it looked great but I didnt want to render another image for 10 minutes, I dont know why it takes so long. As for animating it Ganthofer.. I'm definately working on it. I'm trying to combine changing kinkiness, I think thats the right word :huh: , with changing color, directional variation and postition variation. I'm also working on making it change color if something touches it! I'll upload some tests when I get to them here, thanks again!!

Nothing new to add - just want to say that's a great and creative use of hair! Some people would complain until they're blue in the face that A:M needs a lightning effect or it's useless. You found an effective and flexible solution. I salute you.

My only other comments (the plastic material and the dense mesh) were already covered.

Hope to see it animated!

• 1 month later...

Alright I'm sure you guys are getting sick of this thing but I really think it could be a cool prop in some scenes and if anyone needs it your welcome to use it, jusut e-mail me..

Anyways, I smoothed out the base and you guys were definately right it looks so much better now. I also added another light, any final critiques are welcome!

Lightning%20Ball%20Final%20Smooth.jpg

That is truly nifty-looking!

The only thing I notice is that the electric arcs seem to be producing shadows (i.e. there's a shadow of the arcs, not that they act as a light source which throws shadows).

Still, that's really cool.