Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Stargate Atlantis

Here are some renders of my attempt to model the eponymous prop from the new Stargate series. I started it based on some promo pics that came out before the series, so a couple of features need to be "reinterpreted" now that I've actually seen the show; but even so, I don't think it looks too bad.

Click the thumbnails for full-sized pics.

tn-Stargate-Front.jpg tn-Stargate-Chevron-Closeup.jpg tn-Stargate-Rearview-Closeup.jpg

I've also got some "white renders" of the entire model, front and back.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intricate work! I assume most of that is decals.

The engraved lines on the front/back faces are bump/diffuse maps, and the "knobbly" texture around the outer circumference is displacement/bump/diffuse, but all the other features (including the "chain link" type things on the inside of the ring) are modeled.

The glyphs are modeled, but after seeing the show I think they'd do better as decals. Gonna have to think a bit to figure out the most efficient way of doing them. Probably an image-sequence cookie-cutter decal would be best. (Tsk, they couldn't have done a physical turning ring. No, that would be too easy...)

From what I remember, the one in the series is darker in colour.  :)

It was definitely dark on TV, but some of the promo pics suggested that it was lighter.

But it could also be the lighting. The SG-1 Stargate looks pretty light in some shots, but it's really dark in some versions of the opening credits. I guess without making a trip to Vancouver to see it for myself, I'll never really know.

I really like the detail. I also assume you used decals. I would really like to see some shots of the decals. I am very weak in the texturing department. It would be nice to see what you used to get this level of detail.

Thanks

Wade

By the way episode two airs tonight. I thought the pilot was decent but I am not fond of the lead scientist chick, Dr.Weir. Christopher Judge (AKA Teal'c) was at Dragoncon last year. He was really down to earth. Got him to autograph SG-1 season 1 DVD for my wife.

Thanks for the compliments, all.

I really like the detail. I also assume you used decals. I would really like to see some shots of the decals. I am very weak in the texturing department. It would be nice to see what you used to get this level of detail.

Well, this is what one of the decals looks like (scaled down; the original is 2790x700 pixels, and a Targa). I'm currently re-doing the slots-and-zig-zags decal which goes all the way around inward of the glyph ring.

Basically, the whole thing has a ninefold radial symmetry, so each decal covers about 40 degrees of arc (and I just replicate all the parts as action objects).

Will you do the effect when it is activated? I am interested in how you do that...

I'm going to try. It'll be an interesting challenge, that's for sure. :-)

Any chance of a wireframe?

Sure, have two: full frontal nudity and more demure.