Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Zelk update

A while back I made this post: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2189&hl=

Well, I've updated my model a bit, and just thought I'd show it off a bit. I actually made these updates/improvements a while back, but have just now decided to show it off. The texturing for the body is still incomplete (think of the texturing just as an example of what the texturing could be). I also cut down the splineage in the head and around the body.

The patch count of the model from the previous post (above) was about 1074 (I think), and the new patch count is 974. It may not seem like much of a difference, as while I did lower the patch count in some areas (ie, in the head, hands, etc), I also changed the pelvis/waist/leg area to look better, which added more patches.

I'm still unsure on what I'll do to texture his body, so if anyone has any ideas, please suggest. Also, any suggestions or comments on the model itself will be very much appreciated! I'll also include some shaded wireframe images of the model from various angles. (Bear with me, I'll have to make individual posts to show them, as I don't have webspace to host the images).

Cheers

post-7-1081389717.jpg

Edited by stephen

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you've come a ways with this guy. I remember back when you posted him some months ago.

You've got an original design for his head, with the eyes up high and what looks like a very prominent nose. I would recommend you prune back the splinage, though. You can probably get the contours you want with only a few, carefully-placed control points. As a result, the model will be easier to change, a little faster to render, and probably a lot smoother.

I always tell myself to remember why they're called control points: they give you control. But you only want control in the important spots, and let the patches do the rest.

Keep it up! :)

Thanks for the comments!

I have tried lowering the splineage on the head a lot more, but I lose the look I want, so there's not much there I can do.

Do you also mean lower the splineage on the body? For the body, there are some bits where there are too many patches, but I did that for texturing purposes. I probably could cut it down, though.

looks like an interesting creature!

seems to me though that you might have trouble moving the hands around. you seem to have enough splines in the wrist areas, but the way it's built, you're going to have trouble when you start moving them, because one side is going to want to fold in on itself. that's the mistake i made building my avatar character. it always has a weird effect when I move the hands.

And yeah, are you going to let him open his mouth?

-Andrew

I was referring mostly to the head. There are areas of the body that I personally would try to decimate, but that's not advice of any sort. It's just the way I prefer to model.

So long as you're satisfied with the way the head looks, that's the bottom line. :) Keep us posted.

Thanks again for the input.

Firstly, I currently don't have any plans to open his mouth. In the past I've tried making a mouth, but nothing ever looked good. If you want, I can dig up some past screenshots when the head had a mouth. But for now there won't be a mouth, however, if I can find a way to add a mouth without losing too much of the look of the face, and have it look good, I might add a mouth.

Andrew, you're right about the wrists. When I move them in certain angles, they do kind of fold over in an unflattering way. Any tips on how to improve the wrists so they are more animation-friendly?

Ross, I tried lowering the splineage on the body yesterday, but I lost some of the look I wanted, and it also made it look worse when animating, so I think I'll leave the body how it is. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Phil, I have had him rigged for a while now. The thing is, I'm not very good at rigging. I don't have TSM, and I also don't really know all there is to know about bones and rigging. So far, it's a very simple rig with nothing special. I'll include a few screenshots of my rig setup. I based it on setups I've seen from other people's models over the years. I just tried to add bones where, 1) I'll be able to move the body, and 2) where other people have had their bones.

Any suggestions on improving the rig would be greatly appreciated. Or, if anyone knows of any sources (websites, etc) on learning about bones and all the different types and settings, please let me know.

post-7-1081571835.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a look you're going for, but his chest seems kinda "blocky".

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I plan on making it a bit smaller so it doesn't stick out as much, so it'll look less blocky. The body is still based on my early ideas for the body, so I still need to update it.