sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Colors by Computer :D

robcat2075

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Interesting... and timely.

I've been experimenting with creating a utility for preloading colors into A:M's custom color pallet and considering whether it might be worth trying to write a full program in visual basic to navigate through collections of stored color palettes.

Perhaps these might work for the first two 'official' sets of colors.

Having each color's RGB number certainly helps.

hehe. :)

Interesting... and timely.

I've been experimenting with creating a utility for preloading colors into A:M's custom color pallet and considering whether it might be worth trying to write a full program in visual basic to navigate through collections of stored color palettes.

Perhaps these might work for the first two 'official' sets of colors.

Having each color's RGB number certainly helps.

hehe. :)

I'd like that! Pre load with the color palates used by Disney in say Bambi.

• Admin
Pre load with the color palates used by Disney in say Bambi.

The problem would be that someone would have to create the color palettes.

I do have access to a program that can create a pallet of colors from an image (or sequence of images) but I'd have to investigate to see how that might be used to populate the custom pallet in A:M.

I am definitely not a programmer but the exercise of converting from one format to the other would be educational.

Aside: I thought we had a way to create materials from an image in A:M but it looks like my memory is faulty.

Sharing collections of materials would probably be more useful than using the custom color pallet.

Then collections of material 'palettes' could be stored in a library.

After all these years I'm still a fan of patch surface color.

In thinking to create the utility to prepopulate (or change) the colors stored there I was thinking it could be made a little more useful.

Assuming I didn't fat finger any of the RGB numbers and mess them up... attached is the first 16 Robcolors placed in the custom color pallet in A:M.

A benefit to having these custom color palettes outside of A:M in their own utility would be that names and descriptions could be associated with each color swatch and palette.

Of course, given that so many programs and utilities already exist I'm not sure exploring a new utility of this sort would be worth diving into except to educate myself on how to put together the code.

Robcolor000.png

• Admin

For the brave (or careless?)...

Attached (inside the zip file) is a no frills utility (.exe file) that populates the 16 custom color swatches with Robert's first 16 colors.

This will only work with v19 and may or may not work on systems other than Win10 (I haven't tested).

The only thing the utility does is populate A:M's registry data with the specified colors.

If anyone would like to test I'd love to know if this works on someone else's system.

Disclaimer: No warranties or guarantees implied. Use at own risk.

It does work for me.

I need to brush off my Visual Basic skills and see about putting together a proper program.

Attachment updated to contain two sets of custom palettes.

CustomColorSets v19.zip

• Hash Fellow

I gave it a try on Win 7, but it didn't set the palette colors. :(

I like the idea. I don't know of any other way to install a palette. I suppose the other half of this you need is a way to save a current palette for future use.

• Admin

I've updated the previous attachment to contain two installers.

The first installs the first 16 colors from Robcat's color listing.

The second contains the last 7 colors with Red added (to fill the top row) and a gray scale from white to black to fill the bottom row.

Although... at the last minute it looks like I changed white to black on the bottom left. Ooops!

When installing a new set users might have to create a new Project in order to refresh the palette from one set to the next.

I believe the custom colors are changed but A:M's interface just doesn't know that until something causes a screen refresh.

To fully make sure the color palette is changed a restart of A:M is recommended.

Here are the results of installing each of the sets:

CustomColorSets.gif