sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Modern laptop trackpads :(

Roger

• *A:M User*

It seems like every manufacturer out there tries to copy the Macbook trackpad and manages to screw it up in some way.

I particularly loathe Lenovo's take on it. It's like trying to mouse click with a see-saw. You try to left click something and end up right-clicking it, or right-click something and end up doing a left-click instead. This seems to happen most often when using the trackpoint. What was wrong with 2 separate physical buttons? That was a perfectly usable design. I don't believe the Mac trackpad was ever intended to have more than one "button" so there is no problem with using a monolithic pad for clicks, but on the PC it is impossible to get it right, it seems. At least I've never seen a good implementation.

Anyone else frustrated by this?

Looks like I will be going back to using an old model Thinkpad for my web browsing/posting/email.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be doing with the trackpad on my laptop. I went so far as to buy a Logitech wireless keyboard because I hate it so much. There aren't even buttons on it. It's just a flat, textureless, grey pad that's not very responsive and you sort of push down on the left or right on the bottom. It's crap.

Just get a mouse... I never found a trackpad which really got me even half as precise and fast control as a mouse.

I am quite happy with my HP Elite laptop, but still a mouse is better than it's trackpad, even so it is not bad at all.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: On my HP elite 745 I have two buttons still.

Perhaps controversially, I used to have a Microsoft Explorer Trackball Mouse that I loved. Then my daughter's rabbit decided it would eat through the cable while it was hopping about one afternoon. Nowadays they go for silly money on Ebay.

• *A:M User*

For those that have said mouse, I agree I have a cheap wireless mouse I bought for my AM'ing on the go --- however for just web surfing and posting online I like sticking with the built-in trackpad. But ever since Lenovo decided to copy Apple their trackpads have been garbage. It used to be on their Thinkpad line, the trackpoint with ultranav I could use comfortably but not on their newer models.