sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Compositing in After Effects ?

Simon Edmondson

I'm trying to composite some files generated in AM into a landscape using After Effects CC.

Have watched several tutorials and tried to follow them through. Have managed to sit a text into a camera pan but not the AM files. Can anyonekindly suggest a method to use or refer me to a tutorial that will explain how to achieve it?

The AM files are of a time lapse assembly of the house of cards in Happy Families and I'm trying locate them in a landscape.

regards

simon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald

Thank you for your reply. Pardon my sloppy explanation.

I've setup a short sequence ( about 3 seconds ) in AM and am rendering it out to PNG files with Alpha channels.

They are not resting on a ground or any other support.

What I'm trying to do is composite those renders into a different landscape in AE.

Is it possible to put a mesh into AE ?

I have close to zero experience with it.

I'll post an example of the AM files later.

regards

simon

In newer versions you should be able to put a OBJ into AE, but that is something different then. PNGs are pretty much straight forward... drag and drop them in and they should already display as they should.

If not, right-click on the footage in your project-manager and choose "...interprete"... there you can define different ways how to handle alpha-channels, etc.

See you
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Gerald

Thank you for your reply. Pardon my sloppy explanation.

I've setup a short sequence ( about 3 seconds ) in AM and am rendering it out to PNG files with Alpha channels.

They are not resting on a ground or any other support.

Could you post one of the PNGs?

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in returning to this question, diverted onto another but, have to return to it now.

This is the model set up

House Test Three 000.png

and I want to try to set up the .cho so that the model looks like it is sitting in this landscape

S One Pan  220.png

This is the .cho as presently set

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 18.08.58.png

Is there a way to set the camera view so that it approximates to the that of the ground plane in the photo so that I can then set the house to appear in the time lapse sequence and look like its sitting in that landscape ?

I've tried adjusting it by eye but, to be honest, have no real understanding of what I'm doing.

Could someone kindly point me towards a work flow or tutoria lthat allow that ?

thank you

simon

• Hash Fellow

The first rule is the cameras need to be at the same height. Figure out what height the camera for the photo was at and move your A:M camera to that height in the chor. This presumes your houses are built to scale. If they are 1/10 scale for example, then set the Chor camera to 1/10 of the photo camera height.

Second you want to match to field of view of the two cameras. This will probably need to be guesstimated. One way is to place your camera a known distance (let's say 2 meters) from a flat wall and measure how much of the wall is captured in the frame from left to right. Model something that same length in A:M, place it 2 meters in front of the camera and adjust the "focal length" setting until the object just meets both sides of the frame. (your A:M camera will need to be set to the same aspect ratio as your camera (1920x1080 I presume) for this to work.

Third, drop the image onto your A:M camera and use it as a Rotoscope, set "On Top" to OFF

Fourth, tilt the A:M camera up and down until the horizon lines match. A:M doesn't have a true horizon line so you will need to add one temporarily. Load this 1KilometerCircle.mdl into your PRJ and drop it into your chor and view in wireframe mode It will be large enough to mimic a horizon as seen from normal human-height viewpoints.

1KilometerCircle.mdl

I presume the horizon in your photo is just a hair below the tree line.

That should get you very close. By using the photo in A:M as a Rotoscope you will be able to render all of it together and not need to composite later.