sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tangram Tango

Simon Edmondson

I am still working on the Boy and Bear dancing but the bulk of the week is taken up with course work.

This was a stop frame test using Tangram blocks leading up to a possible Tango sequence. Just trying to get used to moving the blocks and using the software

( Dragonframe ).

simon Tan_004.mov

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried some light gels this afternoon, then this in the evening.

Its building up to a Tango. Biggest problem is keeping the red sections flat and free of static.

simon[attachment

=66978:tanL003.mov]

Should add that this is straight ahead animation the real difficult part is going to be translatinng real tango...

tanL003.mov

Great stuff! You have a DSLR on a tripod pointing down? Shooting into a laptop with Lightroom?

Mat

The one with the blocks was done using the rostrum stand at college, a Canon DSLR ( with Nikon lens) and Dragonframe software. The one with the light gels was done at home with Istopmotion, a webcam and an A2 size light pad. I have a Canon DSLR which is supposed to work with ISM but it was being tempramental about it last week so I stuck with the webcam for the test. It didn't work out as expected , I had thought the transparency would be more apparent. That may be due to the nature of the light pad I shall try on a proper light box on friday.

I was a bit puzzled as to why Nikon lens on Canon camera until reading a book on stop frame techniques, it pointed out that the adaptor masks the button on the lens which controls the aperature and stops the camera from controling it automatically and varying the exposure !

I am on the verge of buying a rostrum setup for home via ebay as the present setup is cobbled together with some 1x2 timber and a tripod head. It works butnot very flexibly...

regards

simon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble analysing the sound for the stop frame so, to get an animatic of the choreography of the Tango, I'm doing it roughly in AM first ( apologies if that sounds a bit wayward )

I've made the Tangram shapes but, mow need to move the model axis for animating in the AM chor.

I know there is a way to do this but can't remember how. Could somebody kindly remind me ?

regards

simon

...I've made the Tangram shapes but, mow need to move the model axis for animating in the AM chor...

Hi Simon,

Not sure what you are referring to here?

Animating the Model Bone in the Chor would move the whole model and when rotating it, it will rotate around the base of the bone.

The actual position of the Model bone within a model can be set manually in the model's Modelling Window in Bones Mode or by entering in XYZ coordinates for it in the Properties window for the Model Bone.

...I've made the Tangram shapes but, mow need to move the model axis for animating in the AM chor...

Hi Simon,

Not sure what you are referring to here?

Animating the Model Bone in the Chor would move the whole model and when rotating it, it will rotate around the base of the bone.

The actual position of the Model bone within a model can be set manually in the model's Modelling Window in Bones Mode or by entering in XYZ coordinates for it in the Properties window for the Model Bone.

Mark

Thank you for your reply, and help.

I modelled the shapes as a whole model, to make sure they were all the right size and proportions. Then copied them individually to make separate models which could be animated in the chor. When you do that the model bone is located in the same position as the original, which may not be appropriate for the new model because it makes the axis at the point of rotation rather awkward ( hope thats a reasonable explanation, not sure it is ? ).

I got around it in the end by shifting the position of the new model bone to a better lace.

I'm working on an animatic of the tango idea. It was proving difficult to analyse the sound properly as ( I didn't know before but ) Tango does not use drums, and its in 2/4 time. Both new to me !

So I thought I'd go through in AM and set the key poses against the soundtrack, as I did with the bear animation. The final piece will be done stop frame, I hope, but this was a work around to make some progress.

regards

simonAnimatic.mov