sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Comic Dance routine

Simon Edmondson

• Hash Fellow

I wonder how those women feel about people presuming they were female impersonators. :D

I went to festival of silent Hitchcock films last year and there was one with a character in a bar, a bit of a Margaret Dumont type, but I really had no idea whether it was a woman or a man pretending to be a woman and it wasn't absolutely certain in the movie either.

The slight five-o'clock shadow made me decide it was a man but later I looked up the credits and it was a woman. A woman who looked like a man pretending to be a woman.

I still wonder if they played it that way intentionally to make the audience uneasy or if it's just the problem of seeing something 85 years after it was made. :unsure:

While I was in college, I worked for a few years as a store detective at a department store. One day, I see this woman over at the expensive purses and went into one of our security booths that let us look through a mirror onto the floor. Sure enough, I saw her using wire cutters to remove the security cables and she put three purses into her pantyhose under her skirt.

As she left the store, I had to let her pass me, and I guess she saw the smile on my face and she started to run. I came up behind her and grabbed the back of her upper left arm with my right hand. She easily pulled it out of my grip. By this point, she was out in the mall and I ran and grabbed her by the back of the blazer she was wearing. To my surprise, she turned around quickly and flat-fisted me in the face!

I was dazed for a second, but quickly ran after her. She'd made me mad now. :-)

I had recently watched a movie with Michael Keaton where he had kicked the leg out from under a suspect that was fleeing, and I mentally made a note of it. It suddenly popped into my head, and I did just that. I did a kind of sweeping in kick with my right leg. My foot caught one of her feet in midair and she was suddenly propelled forward. I remember it in slow-motion, her arcing through the air ...and right into the glass exit door, head first! The glass was reinforced with a wire mesh, but it cracked in a head-sized circle.

My exact thought was. "Oh, crap! I killed her!"

She wasn't dead, though, or even phased. She scrambled to get back up to her feet and I grabbed her from behind in a headlock and wrestled her back to the floor. We were right in front of a small video arcade and I had gone to high school with the guy working there. He had just come back from the snack bar and was eating and drinking like we were dinner entertainment. I finally got control of her and she was face down on the floor, with me sitting on her back.

Suddenly, she started to screech and was yelling that she couldn't breathe. Having had enough, I remember saying, "Good, then maybe you'll pass out and shut up!" Finally, I turned her head so that she could see my overweight friend eating his snacks. (I was a slender lad back then.) I said, "You see that guy over there? If you don't shut up, I'm going to get *him* to sit on you!"

Days after the event, I ran into my friend, who said that he didn't appreciate me involving him in my arrests. He also said he didn't know whether to be more insulted by the fact that I'd used the fact that he was heavy to threaten her or the fact that she immediately shut up when I said that.

Shortly after that, the police arrived and took the woman into custody. I made sure to tell them about the the three Dooney & Bourke purses under her skirt.

I finally looked at my watch and realized the fight had lasted forty-five minutes! I was exhausted. As a couple of the store managers helped me back into the store, I was telling them that she was "the strongest woman I'd even seen." The managers stopped and one of them looked back at me and said, "Uh, Mark... I don't think that was a woman."

I was dumb-founded. Then I remembered that when I had her in a head-lock I'd felt stubble on her chin ...but I'd just chalked it up to her being a really ugly lady. :-)

I had to go to the hospital to have my face x-rayed where (s)he had punched me and I assumed that it was the wig that kept him from injuring his head on the door.

The three purses retailed for over $1K, so it was a felony and it turns out the man had a very long wrap sheet. He was sentenced to two years in prison, which was the only shoplifter I caught who had to serve time. I was friendly with some of the cops in town and one told me a year or so later that while the guy was in his cell, he would alternate between a female voice and a deep, deep man's voice. He had a phony Michigan driver's license that identified him as a woman. I guess that was his scam.

• ____ 1

Thanks, Nancy. I was actually a store detective (or as they boringly termed it, a Loss Prevention Associate.) The chief difference was that I got to wear my regular clothes. I did have a cool wallet with a badge, though ...and I got to carry handcuffs, but I thought they were bad luck and kept them in the office. To me, I was a secret agent that got to run around, spying on people and looking for bad guys.

I actually got to keep my badge. My supervisor liked his badge a little too much, so when corporate ordered that we send in the badges, he claimed they'd been lost. :-)

photo.JPG

I always meant to do something with all the stories I got from the place, but I think the world has probably changed too much since then. Our highest tech was a pinhole camera and a video recorder that could tape for a really long time and they only had one in the company, so we only got it for special investigations. :-)

There was a lot of mischief going on and since we didn't report to the store managers (we had a regional supervisor), we had a great autonomy. I didn't arrest that many people, but I got a good story out of it every time.