Hash, Inc. Forums

The Mad Monster Party

largento

Although I don't think the movie is very good, I love the look of Rankin/Bass' feature "Mad Monster Party." The characters were based on EC Comics/Mad Magazine artist Jack Davis' designs and the sets are great.

I came across this image today.

BORIS.jpg

And this character design and puppet for Dracula is just plain awesome.

DRAC.jpg

013.jpg

BORIS.jpg

DRAC.jpg

013.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I tell ya, what they lacked in animation they made up for in models. I'll have to look at that.

From Netflix:

Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller lend their vocal talents to this bizarre stop-motion animated parody of horror films. Dr. Frankenstein makes plans for his retirement and convenes a meeting of all monsters to announce his replacement. As word spreads that the doctor is going to choose his young nephew for the position, the visiting creatures plot a coup d'état that would leave Dr. Frankenstein retired ... permanently.

• 2 months later...

I do like that film. I bought it on DVD having had fond memories of seeing it as a kid. It's a bit primitive looking at it now but very good for when it ws made. No video assist or anything then so they were animating 'blind' as it were. Although, so was Harryhausen and his work was far superior.

• ____ 1