Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Very early attempt at animating

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup- those were the days- I had regular 8mm. Did a LOT of messing around with cutout art (I'd had no exposure to the concept of 'cels') I was just figuring things out... one of the cool things I devised (NO outside influence) was that I could take my old exposed 8mm film, put it in our cheap black and white photographic enlarger, and trace the images I saw focused on the exposure board... I later learned this was known as 'rotoscoping' when I read that Ralph Bakshi used the same technique. My stuff was REALLY BAD too- I enjoyed Snoopy tho!

Ah the memories... as a young whipper snapper of the 70's I dug up my dad's super 8 and old movies that he made in Okinawa right after WWII. One of these was of an anit-aircraft drill, where they (attempt) to shoot a target being towed by an aircraft. I had a balsa wood model airplane i built, so being the budding film maker, I put a firecracker in it's tail, lit it and sent the plan a-flying, all with the camera rolling. Plan was to splice the two clips together. While I still have a bunch of my pop's movies, I can't seem to find that footage now.

• Hash Fellow

I remember my super-8 camera was my first bit of serious dissonance with my dad.

$50 for... a movie camera? Oh dear, oh dear oh dear!

The problem wasn't that it was a movie camera, it was that I spent money at all. Even my own money that I made on my paper route.

And there was more hand wringing every time I spent $3.50 to get some film developed at the Fotomat.

Remember the Fotomat? You'd take your film to a girl sitting in a tiny shed in the middle of a parking lot. It sounds crazy to say that.

It didn't even appear to have a door on it. I just figured she must be crawling in thru the window every morning.