sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Technology fatigue

Roger

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

It helps to pick a few go to applications and leave the rest for those times that absolutely require them.

One of the reasons I tend to look at a variety of programs (beyond those I would use on my own) is to keep abreast of what is out there and available. In this way if someone asks about that program I at least have a cursory understanding to work from. It can also be fun to explore but... that is more like work. ;)

But... and this is a very important but... if you don't need it I would recommend foregoing the installation of any except the core programs you need to use. With A:M this helps limit the number of programs we need considerably.

One question to ask might be, "To what purpose does this technology/software/solution serve my immediate, mid term and long term goals." If it doesn't fit in anywhere then it would be good to set it aside for the short term.

Note that this is why I love taking advantage of a operating system upgrade in that it clears out the cobwebs and I can immediately forget those old programs I have little interest in using.

Most programs worth maintaining will have pretty straightforward updating processes.

• *A:M User*

On my lunch break, so thought I'd pop in. I don't expect to be able to hand down my PC to my future children, by the time I have kids it will be hopelessly obsolete.

I still have the stereo my uncle gave me, that was built in the 70s (probably actually in the US, too). Thing is built like a tank. Will probably still work 30 years from now, and pick up AM/FM, and assuming that the iWhatever 30 years from now has an RCA out or some sort of converter, I'll be able to hook it up.

I'm really trying to be more concious of my environmental footprint, and do more strategic upgrades. Ideally I want to pare down to a laptop and desktop and maybe a tablet.

I just feel like a slave to this stuff sometimes.

I was just thinking, that scene in Star Wars where Ben Kenobi gives Luke his father's lightsaber? That would never happen in this galaxy.

"Luke, this was your father's light saber, a more civilized weap---oh wait, we need to download 30 security updates. And get 3 new focusing crystals. And the battery is shot, but it is glued to the pommel. Screw it, we'll just go to Jedi Mart and pick up a new one"

• Hash Fellow

Getting rid of the old stuff is the hard part. I've got a ton of old computer stuff that is obsolete but can't be thrown in the trash and the official disposal facility is expensive and difficult to even get to.

Getting rid of the old stuff is the hard part. I've got a ton of old computer stuff that is obsolete but can't be thrown in the trash and the official disposal facility is expensive and difficult to even get to.

We are lucky in that regard, Apple has a recycling program for old electronic gear located very close to us. Can just dump it off for free.

However - even with it being easy to dispose of, we have a garage full of JUNK that someone (who shall remain nameless, but it isn't me) in this house has a hard time letting go of old computers, displays, etc.

Perhaps you can use Freecycle? to get someone else to come take it away?

If only i still had a car. I could park it unlocked somewhere with the old computers in clear view in the back seat...

They would just take the car and leave the computers. How old are they, exactly? If they are 386, 486 or Pentium vintage you could probably unload them on Ebay for $100 each. If they are PII, PIII or newer I would probably just drop them off at a Goodwill or something.

Oddly enough, there is a market for "vintage" hardware on E-bay.