sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Cghub evaporated

jakerupert

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

It sure seems like problems like this use to be smaller in scale (small, personal websites no longer being maintained so their links go dead) but we appear to be entering a new era when larger sites suddenly and without any notification fall off the grid.

I don't know the situation at Cghub but it seems to me the proprietors have opened themselves up to legal charges for not carrying out the terms of service paid.

In other words it might not be enough to simply refund subscriptions where years of relationships have been fostered and digital information has been cultivated and created.

But now we entered the realm of intellectual property and this is where the truth will out only once the legal side kicks into gear and... assuming any of the complainants have something worth recouping at stake.

In the real world sites rely on a variety of real world (as opposed to imaginary) revenue streams.

But what if those streams dry up, falter or fail? I must assume that prior to this 'sudden' decision there was considerable loss of revenue (or at least an acknowledgement that the current trajectory was not sustainable) or else the Cghub site would still be there.

• Hash Fellow

Everything has to end but so many things in our life haven't ended yet so it seems odd when something does end.

I got curious about what the longest-lived company still in operation might be. Turn out there's a list!

List of Oldest Companies

The top one on that list, construction company Kongō Gumi, founded 578, apparently failed in 2005 but the next one, Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan, a hotel founded in 705, is still in business. Both in Japan.

The only longer-lasting organization I can think of might be the Pope and the Vatican structure that run the Catholic Church.

I saw a message that apparently was briefly on their Facebook page. They said they were shutting down for personal reasons and that they were private and unrelated to to technical or business concerns.

• 3 months later...