Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

V18 Multiples

A few weeks back I learnt about Multiple master in V17 and have used it extensively when rendering. Upgraded to V18 two weeks ago and went to use Multiple Master in it today but couldn't find it.

MultipleMaster.scpt

But no.app.

My guess is that needs to be activated. Could somebody kindly explain how ?

regards

simon

Ps

One of the reasons for wanting to run MM is that an import of a 3DS model is taking a very long time is that common ? Appreciate it varies per model but, have left the machine chewing it over and its stayed on 20% for the past 16 hours and counting... OBJ import was a lot smoother and quicker.

The results make me appreciative of the economy of splines though !!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might put in a bug report for the missing Multiple Master script if that is still a useful thing for Macs. I presume it is!

Robert

Thank you for your replies once again. I was trying to see how it came out as splines first. I started a retopology with a prop last week and will resume next week. I started with a model car but that was overly complex to start with so have reverted to a figure instead. The long import time is for a BMW mini model.

The multiples option is very much a useful thing for me. Have other Mac users had the same problem? Is it still there in the PC version as well. I'm using 18B ?

regards

simon

I presume the script from v17 would work or only need to be slightly modified?

In Windows you don't need it, you can just start A:M again.

Robert

Thank you> I'll try that now and see if it works with the Mac too.

regards

simon

Quick update.

Not at all familiar with running scripts but it seems to have allowed multiples to run.

Thank you for your help.

The script probably needs to be updated and likely is easy to do.

The alternate way is to option drag a copy of the AM folder to your desktop. It can be opened as another copy of AM. I often run seven of them on my Mac Pro.

The script probably needs to be updated and likely is easy to do.

The alternate way is to option drag a copy of the AM folder to your desktop. It can be opened as another copy of AM. I often run seven of them on my Mac Pro.

Mark

Thank you for your help.

Seven !!!

I don't think my mini will stretch that far. Working up to a pro eventually but might have to get a PC laptop first to try 64bit , that might speed things up a little ?

regards

simon

I'm sure it's absence from 18d is just an oversight by Steffen.

As you found you can just run the script "as is" but if you want to have the App, which is quicker to launch, then all you have to do is;

Open the MultipleMaster script.

In the AppleScript Editor menubar, go to: File > Export…' or 'Save As…'

In the drop down window that opens; under 'File Format:' choose "Application". The rest you can leave as is. (Unless you want to change the save destination and the app name)

Click 'Save'

You have now made your own MultipleMaster App!

I'm sure it's absence from 18d is just an oversight by Steffen.

As you found you can just run the script "as is" but if you want to have the App, which is quicker to launch, then all you have to do is;

Open the MultipleMaster script.

In the AppleScript Editor menubar, go to: File > Export…' or 'Save As…'

In the drop down window that opens; under 'File Format:' choose "Application". The rest you can leave as is. (Unless you want to change the save destination and the app name)

Click 'Save'

You have now made your own MultipleMaster App!

Mark

Thats champion.

Thank you

regards

simon

Seven !!!

I don't think my mini will stretch that far. Working up to a pro eventually but might have to get a PC laptop first to try 64bit , that might speed things up a little ?

regards

simon

I have 8 cores in my Mac Pro. :-)

I'm actually working in both versions right now. I'm running the 64bit A:M in Windows 8 via Parallels. It does render faster. I haven't tried opening too many versions of the Windows one, but I've been working the last few days with two instances open in Windows and three on the Mac.

I find myself using the Windows version more and more.

There are trade offs. I haven't investigated an issue where I can't hear the playback of audio in A:M on the Windows side. I'm sure it's some hardware setting between Windows/Parallels/OS X, but I haven't tracked it down yet. That's led me to animate dialogue scenes on the Mac version ...but then I've been rendering them with the Windows version.

I like to make test videos of the shots before I render them and I can render shaded quicktimes directly from the Mac version, so that's a plus on the Mac side.

I've stuck with v18a on both platforms until I finish Wobbling Dead.

• Hash Fellow
I like to make test videos of the shots before I render them and I can render shaded quicktimes directly from the Mac version, so that's a plus on the Mac side.

You can see shaded in Windows but you can't you can't render to shaded in Windows? Ouch.

I have 8 cores in my Mac Pro. :-)

I'm actually working in both versions right now. I'm running the 64bit A:M in Windows 8 via Parallels. It does render faster. I haven't tried opening too many versions of the Windows one, but I've been working the last few days with two instances open in Windows and three on the Mac.

I find myself using the Windows version more and more.

There are trade offs...

I've stuck with v18a on both platforms until I finish Wobbling Dead.

Mark

Thank you for the insights. What version of Windows are you running on your Pro ? I'd like a Mac Pro but, aside from the cost, not sure I have the space at the moment. Is Parallels a commercial or an open source program ? I had thought of trying to persuade my brother to build a Hackintosh for me but the same limitations apply.

regards

simon

You can see shaded in Windows but you can't you can't render to shaded in Windows? Ouch.

I can render shaded to frames, but not to a QuickTime movie. Have to make the extra step in windows.

Simon, I'm running v18a of both.

Parallels is a commercial program. So you have to pay for it and you have to buy windows.

Simon, I'm running v18a of both.

Parallels is a commercial program. So you have to pay for it and you have to buy windows.

Mark

Thank you for your reply. Which version of windows are you running?

My younger brother is a complete tech geek ( I was convinced at one point that he dreamt in machine code ) and he's a PC man, although Linux is his preferred flavour of OS. He was very underwhelmed by W8 and said it was the only time he had ever had to look up how to shut something down. A friend prefers it to earlier W's... I haven't used a PC since Vista so no experience of them from then on.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
I can render shaded to frames, but not to a QuickTime movie. Have to make the extra step in windows.

I'll note that you can Render to Quicktime directly in 32-bit A:M which you can have installed also, although reloading in 32-bit A:M may not be any fewer button presses than going to the Mac side to reload.

Didn't realize that. But I've mostly been animating on the Mac side because of the dialogue thing anyway. I go to the Windows side if there's something like hair or models that the Mac version crashes with.

It's a best of both worlds kind of thing. :-)

Didn't realize that. But I've mostly been animating on the Mac side because of the dialogue thing anyway. I go to the Windows side if there's something like hair or models that the Mac version crashes with.

It's a best of both worlds kind of thing. :-)

Sounds like a very save workflow to me :).

See you

*Fuchur*