sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Curious

Working in V17g, under OSX 10.68

Revising last weeks brief, checking the mesh penetration glitches.

It was going well, doing quick regional renders to test position, suddenly, this happened,Screen_shot_2013_11_26_at_21.30.57.png

Since then the render times have gone through the roof. For example a 9 second segment that was taking 2 seconds per frame to render, has gone out to several minutes per frame.

Can any one point me to what the problem might be and, most importantly. How to fix it ?

regards

simon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

My tactic when i get a weird render problem is to slowly delete things from the shot until the problem goes away.

Then I go back to the original chor and delete just that one thing and see if that was really it. If it was then i figure out what's wrong with it or what changed from a previous version.

Since then the render times have gone through the roof. For example a 9 second segment that was taking 2 seconds per frame to render, has gone out to several minutes per frame.

Can any one point me to what the problem might be and, most importantly. How to fix it ?

perhaps there is a memory leak going on?

I am going to guess it MIGHT be because you are rendering with the Q mode button rather than rendering to a file? and that your system has run out of memory and is swapping back & forth between disk? I always use render to a file for quick checking, especially for LONG sequences - ie 9 secs seems long. Ie where is your system putting these results if you haven't named where to put them yet? memory? Don't know how apple does it.

Also close & restart A:M. Do you still have problem?

simonscreen.jpg

My tactic when i get a weird render problem is to slowly delete things from the shot until the problem goes away.

Then I go back to the original chor and delete just that one thing and see if that was really it. If it was then i figure out what's wrong with it or what changed from a previous version.

Robert

Thank you for your very swift reply.

I've just tested it on another machine and VGA size render is taking more than 5 mins per frame, as opposed to 2 seconds before. I hadn't touched any of the the render settings. Only repositioned the model.. I shall try the process you suggest and see what happens.

regards

simon

perhaps there is a memory leak going on?

I am going to guess it MIGHT be because you are rendering with the Q mode button rather than rendering to a file? and that your system has run out of memory and is swapping back & forth between disk? I always use render to a file for quick checking, especially for LONG sequences - ie 9 secs seems long. Ie where is your system putting these results if you haven't named where to put them yet? memory? Don't know how apple does it.

Also close & restart A:M. Do you still have problem?

Nancy

I've closed and rebooted the program and the computer twice. I was using the Q button.

I shall try again.

regards

simon

Tried a single frame render of the rogue project

this was the result ( a jpg conversion of a tga original ) it took 25:58 to render at VGA resolution.

BAG225.jpg

Interesting effect in itself but not what I was trying for.

Tried a different project on the same machine without changing any settings or options.

This was the result. it took 2 seconds to render at VGA

Dance225.jpg

This is the project file with everything embedded within

Bag.prj

regards

simon

edit

Just tried a different iteration of the chor file.

No render errors using exactly the same models with the same settings and options.

Usually compression will slow renders down. If hard drive space isn't all that critical, rendering out single frames uncompressed will be the quickest then merge them back in your video editing software.

I would also use the netrender and close all unused programs. Other than test rendering there shouldn't be any real need to render out from AM itself.

If there is just a certain point that it screams to a halt then what Robert said would id the issue.

Robert, Nancy,Mark

Thank you very much for your replies and help.

Indeed it was the radiosity setting that was causing the problem. Don't know how I managed to turn it on accidentally but, now its off, normal service has been resumed, render times back to two seconds.

Very interesting effect but, the hit in the render times might make it a bit unusable in practice. From two seconds to twenty six minutes at VGA, makes the prospect of HD1080 almost incalculable, for a single frame !!! For a sequence, you'd have time to write War and Peace and proof read it too...

Thank you for your help.

regards

simon