sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Photo manipulations

Simon Edmondson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are cute.

Was is Arthur Conan Doyle who was fooled by something like that?

Robert

I think it was Conan Doyle. There was a film about it with Harvey Keitel in ( he may have played Houdini ?, its about 15 years since I saw it ). The photos were taken by young children and the debate was about how could they have faked it, so they must have been real?

regards

simon

• Admin

There is a collection of themes children are particularly fascinated by that they tend to grow out of (or transfer) as they mature.

I've long wanted to collect a list of these themes because I'm sure it would jog my memory on some of the themes that intrigued me as a kid.

Being able to shrink down to tiny size is a very common theme (growing to huge size towering above everything around you also but I'd say less so).

Part of this is no doubt connected with the fact that when we are young one of the core concepts we grasp is one of size/scale; Mom and Dad are giants... why are all the kids so small? Grow? You mean we can grow? Well, can adults shrink down to a child's size also? Ah, the innocent, unlearned and inquisitive questioning of a child. 'Tis inspiring!

Other common childhood themes abound; invisibility, speed, physical attraction, strength, creation of something from nothing, impossible luck, skill mastery, etc.

Of course, many of these are harder to illustrate than one of scale; 'bigger' or 'smaller'.

Much of this is purely psychological but I believe it is triggered primarily by environment; children facing difficulty or adversity can escape (even if only momentarily) if they can imagine themselves larger or smaller... faster... prettier... more popular.

This young man's fascination with exploring those imaginary worlds seems normal enough. Although, unless highly profitable, he's likely to outgrow them or set them aside for more profitable/commercial ideas.

Some creative types do get the chance to carry these themes forward and incorporate them into their commercial storytelling while seeking to entertain not only themselves but others.

The child in us connects with these basic themes as we cannot help but recognize them as familiar.