Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to convert PDFs to HTML?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Our current built-in A:M documentation, that uses .chm files, is broken because of a change that Microsoft has made to Windows.

Steffen would like to convert the Help files from their source PDF to HTML.

Does anyone know a tool that will reliably do the conversion including formatting and graphics?

We're not looking for a "try this" or "try that" suggestion, we need a robust candidate that is definitely known to work.

I've already tried OpenOffice on a variety of PDF files, it is pretty poor, so scratch that one.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know a tool that will reliably do the conversion including formatting and graphics?

We're not looking for a "try this" or "try that" suggestion, we need a robust candidate that is definitely known to work.

free 7 day trial

http://www.investintech.com/prod_downloadsa2e_pro.htm

yeah, yeah, I know...I haven't tried it ... So you are free to ignore

however it looks good, but what from what I have been reading from googling "convert pdf to html", that others have found that there is NO perfect solution. This program looks pretty good, and there were some who said they've been using "Able2Extract" for 2 years.

There are free converters as well, but my guess, from comments, is that they loose a lot of the formatting. I assume it will be used on the tech ref?

• Admin
It seems to me there used to be an online, all-html version of the documentation. What happened to that?

I believe it was back in 2007 with the update of the webpage and consolidation of servers that the online html documentation went away.

It might still be online but not accessible via the old urls.

Note that the html documentation that was online is also on your old A:M installation disks.

(Mark's conversion of the documentation from pdf to html turned out better than mine. I'm sure he's using a current version of Adobe Acrobat)