sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Car chase Tests

Simon Edmondson

Just because I'm working out how to do the next scene in Why.

Heres some stop frame tests towards the next big project, which I'm hoping to combine work in AM with stop frame work. These are two tests towards a car chase, dream, sequence between a young boy and his teddy bear. The intention was to use Lego for the buildings in the background of the street.

The smaller file is of the process, with the cars static and the buildings flying past in the background, points out a problem of the lack of motion in the cars themselves.

The larger file is of the houses with a bit of wobbly car at the end. The current thinking is to have that as the backdrop then composite wobbly car on top using green screen on the car.

Any critical contributions very welcome, it is all still in the planning stage so best to catch glitches now before they become a problem.

regards

simon

Lego_002.mov

Lego_003.mov

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
The larger file is of the houses with a bit of wobbly car at the end. The current thinking is to have that as the backdrop then composite wobbly car on top using green screen on the car.

Or... a slower more gradual front to back wavering of the cars might serve well too.

If you are going to composite the background in, you could pre-blur the frames in a paint program to add a motion blur effect.

I made a quick attempt to key your car animation over your background plate with "directional blur" added in After Effects. I think there would be a way to directionally blur a pre-rendered background plate in A:M also with multi pass.

SimonsbackgroundComp_1.mov

Or... a slower more gradual front to back wavering of the cars might serve well too.

If you are going to composite the background in, you could pre-blur the frames in a paint program to add a motion blur effect.

I made a quick attempt to key your car animation over your background plate with "directional blur" added in After Effects. I think there would be a way to directionally blur a pre-rendered background plate in A:M also with multi pass.

SimonsbackgroundComp_1.mov

Robert

Thank you very much indeed for your reply and the movie file, much appreciated.

I don't have AE as yet, so the present thinking was to blur the background at the initial exposure stage, like they did in "The Wrong Trousers ". My neighbour suggested using model railway tracks with flat bed trucks to mount the houses on. These were done with a webcam but, I bought a Canon DSLR two years ago, specifically for stop frame work, and it should be possible to use long shutter speeds with that to get some blur.

The other option I had considered was, as you suggest, using AM to blur it using the multi plane option in the chor, and mounting the individual decals onto flat planes ( possibly as cookie cutter ? ) and animating across the film plane, with multi pass motion blur in the render.

Still finding out what I need to know, so I can find out how to do it.

Regards

simon

Simon -----now with adobe cloud based subscription inniatives -----you can get one adobe product ie AE for a one year subscription at 19.99 a month as long as you commit for one year. I know a lot of folks are not happy with the subscription deal but we are kind of used to it here. Smiles just in case you did not know. Your project is coming along nicely.

Simon -----now with adobe cloud based subscription inniatives -----you can get one adobe product ie AE for a one year subscription at 19.99 a month as long as you commit for one year. I know a lot of folks are not happy with the subscription deal but we are kind of used to it here. Smiles just in case you did not know. Your project is coming along nicely.

Rich

Thank you for your reply and the tip about the Adobe subscription scheme. I hadn't considered that but it might be worthwhile doing so later. I'm still learning the software I've got at the mo so it may be a bit later before that becomes a real option. Usually try to follow the KISS approach and AE is way beyond that !

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
The other option I had considered was, as you suggest, using AM to blur it using the multi plane option in the chor, and mounting the individual decals onto flat planes ( possibly as cookie cutter ? ) and animating across the film plane, with multi pass motion blur in the render.

The easiest option woudl be to put it as a rotoscope on the camera. Their position can be animated. You can animate the first frame and use Post-extrapolation to recreate that exact move for all the following frames