Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M upgrade choices

I think it's time for me to get into the new version mode (still using v.11 or something). I wish you guys still supported the Hasp dongles, they were great.

I have some questions before paying which aren't obvious on the store site.

If I get the subscription version ($79), will it expire one year from the date of purchase/activation? At that point will it cease to work on my computer until I pay for a new subscription? If my computer crashes is it a simple process to regain access to my purchased version via re-install/online re-register (same day, even on weekends)?

I'm more used to the old model of buying the CD and using it until I absolutely have to have the latest and greatest version. Until then I don't have to purchase any sort of upgrade. If I get the other version priced much higher ($299) on the site with printed manuals, DVD data, etc. will it expire after a year or can I continue to use that downloaded version until I'm ready to upgrade (even it it's 2-3 years later)? I know it no longer comes on CD, but is the download installer different than the $79 version? If it isn't different then I don't see why it costs so much more, since the total cost of the manuals and data DVD are not enough to justify the higher price. A non-expiring installer is worth the extra price.

Finally, are the new model files backward compatible/exportable to older A:M versions that I have on other computers?

These are nit-picky questions, but I want to fully understand my options.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I get the subscription version ($79), will it expire one year from the date of purchase/activation?

Yes, it will expire one year from the purchase date.

At that point will it cease to work on my computer until I pay for a new subscription?

Yes.

If my computer crashes is it a simple process to regain access to my purchased version via re-install/online re-register (same day, even on weekends)?

If you save your "master.lic" file, you can re-install on the same computer without having to contact anyone.

If I get the other version priced much higher ($299) on the site with printed manuals, DVD data, etc. will it expire after a year or can I continue to use that downloaded version until I'm ready to upgrade (even it it's 2-3 years later)?

The $299 version never expires, but, you will only be able to use the updates for that year...so, if the last update is something like v17g, that will be the newest version you could use.

I know it no longer comes on CD, but is the download installer different than the $79 version? If it isn't different then I don't see why it costs so much more, since the total cost of the manuals and data DVD are not enough to justify the higher price. A non-expiring installer is worth the extra price.

As I've said, the $299 version doesn't expire.

Finally, are the new model files backward compatible/exportable to older A:M versions that I have on other computers?

Current models are generally backward compatible to all versions until v13 (except for things that don't exist in the older version)...the files changed in that version. However, all older files are still useable in the current version.

Hope that helps.

Cool, thanks. I guess the only other major question is once I install the un-expiring version I can also recover the master.lic file and reload it easily if necessary? Sometimes I'm away from the internet for a while (logistically or on purpose) and it would be nice to be able to fix/re-install my software without logging in somewhere.

I used to get a key to install the software and then the CD would be a key disc as well. Since there is no CD anymore I'm guessing that either new version needs an initial online registration to tie the installer to a given computer and thus create the master.lic file. Is that how it works?

Thanks for the info...

If my computer crashes is it a simple process to regain access to my purchased version via re-install/online re-register (same day, even on weekends)?

If you save your "master.lic" file, you can re-install on the same computer without having to contact anyone.

If I get the other version priced much higher ($299) on the site with printed manuals, DVD data, etc. will it expire after a year or can I continue to use that downloaded version until I'm ready to upgrade (even it it's 2-3 years later)?

The $299 version never expires, but, you will only be able to use the updates for that year...so, if the last update is something like v17g, that will be the newest version you could use.

I know it no longer comes on CD, but is the download installer different than the $79 version? If it isn't different then I don't see why it costs so much more, since the total cost of the manuals and data DVD are not enough to justify the higher price. A non-expiring installer is worth the extra price.

As I've said, the $299 version doesn't expire.

Cool, thanks. I guess the only other major question is once I install the un-expiring version I can also recover the master.lic file and reload it easily if necessary?

Yes.

I used to get a key to install the software and then the CD would be a key disc as well. Since there is no CD anymore I'm guessing that either new version needs an initial online registration to tie the installer to a given computer and thus create the master.lic file. Is that how it works?

Yes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
What version is the DVD version with manuals that can be purchased at the store?

The DVD contains extras like models and tutorial files. This would be for people without broadband where downloading gigabytes would not be practical. The DVD is not a key like the old CD was, however.

• Admin
What version is the DVD version with manuals that can be purchased at the store?

The word 'version' is something of a misnomer.

There is only one current version of A:M (as of this writing v17.0g).

If we pay $79 we get access to the same version we do if we pay $299.

We can subscribe for one year at $79 or we can subscribe to that release forever (i.e the version we purchase for $299 does not expire).

As Robert stated, when paying $299 we also get the extra physical resources (two manuals and a data DVD full of resources).