sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Editing With Final Cut Express

markw

Dose anyone here use it and is it capable of editing an image sequence at 24fps.

I'm not greatly familiar with it I have to say, so I may have missed something, but so far all I've found are options to set the frame rate at 25 or 29.97 fps when starting a new project.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use it and I'm pretty sure you can, gimme 2 seconds to open it up and find out

EDIT: Ok, maybe not. I was positive you could though but yeah, I only see the options that you said. Gonna hit up google to be sure though

EDIT 2: Final Cut Express does not edit in native 24fps. Only Final Cut Pro will do that.

Dose anyone here use it and is it capable of editing an image sequence at 24fps.

I'm not greatly familiar with it I have to say, so I may have missed something, but so far all I've found are options to set the frame rate at 25 or 29.97 fps when starting a new project.

Mark

I tried to reply earlier but the connection was playing up.

You cant edit at 24fps but, you can export at that frame rate if you use QT conversion.

Export.jpg

That may not help directly but, If you arrange it as if it was 24fps in the timeline. Then export using the conversion option, might that give you a work around ?

regards

simon

Ps

This may not be appropriate but, I bought FCP a few years ago as an upgrade. It was not supposed to be available from express, though it came anyway, minus all the documentation of course, but with all the discs. The documents are available on line and the upgrade package was 250 as opposed to 1,000+

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Thing is I was given sound for an image sequence and the sound, for want of a better term, is also at 24fps. And I need to match them both in the edit timeline.

My work around I think is to use the trial version of FCP X !!! According to the documentation it can do true 24fps edit.

It only lasts a month but that should be time enough.

This seems to be one of the battles that Apple conceded to Adobe... FCP is to be unsupported, FCX is highly 'dummed down', and Adobe's Premiere CS6 is highly developed and fully professional.

...and I say get Sony Vegas Pro ;) anyway... but this is subjective...

See you

*Fuchur*

This seems to be one of the battles that Apple conceded to Adobe... FCP is to be unsupported, FCX is highly 'dummed down', and Adobe's Premiere CS6 is highly developed and fully professional.

...and I say get Sony Vegas Pro ;) anyway... but this is subjective...

See you

*Fuchur*

Sadly I don't think Sony Vagas comes in Apple flavor, still :(

A couple years ago I took on an 2min anniversary video... I started in Premiere- but not being an editor and not being familiar with the app... I got stuck. I decided to embark upon the project in Sony Vegas- 2 hours later I was putting the final touches on the audio mix. The job cut like butter... I LIKE Vegas!

Guest Technical Reference

Thing is I was given sound for an image sequence and the sound, for want of a better term, is also at 24fps. And I need to match them both in the edit timeline.

My work around I think is to use the trial version of FCP X !!! According to the documentation it can do true 24fps edit.

I haven't tried this, but if you opened your sound file up in Quicktime pro and then exported it using QT as a separate audio file from the video, this should remove the frame rate element to the sound and just leave it as a time aspect, so if you're editing your video as 30fps in FCE, then you can bring the sound in as a separate track and it should in theory conform to the 30fps frame rate with no problem. Just make sure your sound is an aiff format. There's specific settings you need your aiff to be for FCE to not make a clicking sound with the audio (mind you, ONLY the properly formatted aiff file will work perfectly in FCE. Even MP3 makes this popping sound and it's only rectified by using a properly formatted aiff. It's a pain in the rear for sure using FCE.)

EDIT: Aaaand it seems I'm logged into the wrong account, my bad. This is Darkwing BTW.

I haven't tried this, but if you opened your sound file up in Quicktime pro and then exported it using QT as a separate audio file from the video, this should remove the frame rate element to the sound and just leave it as a time aspect, so if you're editing your video as 30fps in FCE, then you can bring the sound in as a separate track and it should in theory conform to the 30fps frame rate with no problem. Just make sure your sound is an aiff format. There's specific settings you need your aiff to be for FCE to not make a clicking sound with the audio (mind you, ONLY the properly formatted aiff file will work perfectly in FCE. Even MP3 makes this popping sound and it's only rectified by using a properly formatted aiff. It's a pain in the rear for sure using FCE.)

EDIT: Aaaand it seems I'm logged into the wrong account, my bad. This is Darkwing BTW.

Thanks for the idea Darkwing but its an image sequence also made at 24fps not video which is why I need a true 24fps edit. On the plus side though, its a good excuse to play with the new FCX :)