Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Simcloth crashing for me in v17b & above (64bit) (SOLVED)

Kamikaze

Ok , I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong or going on! ...but in V 17b and now 17c (64bit Win7) .....when I click on simulate simcloth I crash AM.....it sims fine in 17a 64 bit Win7.....also project works in 17c 32bit....

Below is the project that crashes...Any Simcloth sim crashes....

Mike

ClothTestSimple.prj

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok , I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong or going on! ...but in V 17b and now 17c (64bit Win7) .....when I click on simulate simcloth I crash AM.....it sims fine in 17a 64 bit Win7.....also project works in 17c 32bit....

Below is the project that crashes...Any Simcloth sim crashes....

Mike

Hm... works for me... did you try to uninstall and reinstall A:M instead of just install it over your existing installation?

Be sure to backup your master0.lic-file before uninstalling, just in case!

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
I never install over a previous version ......

Just because you install with a fresh install doesn't mean you have to get rid of the previous installation.

If you adjust the name of the installation you can run multiple installations.

Example:

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0a

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0b

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0c

When you feel confident in any particular release (enough to move all your projects to it) you can then uninstall/remove those versions that aren't needed.

Rationale: A higher frequency of updates is a good thing but when we opt not to move toward the new releases it works against the development cycle rather than for it. By simply adding a letter to the location where the release will be installed we get the best of all releases while simultaneously embracing the future. More frequent releases equates to more issues being resolved but also can introduce unintended results. Allowing for periodic change is essential to the process. Unnecessary resistance to change, when other options are available and viable will have us missing out on the most important changes.

An interim solution would be to simply use the earlier release of A:M.

Filing a report into A:M Reports will help determine if there is a pattern to be found on other folk's machines.

• Admin
I never install over a previous version ......

Just because you install with a fresh install doesn't mean you have to get rid of the previous installation.

If you adjust the name of the installation you can run multiple installations.

Example:

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0a

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0b

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\v17.0c

When you feel confident in any particular release (enough to move all your projects to it) you can then uninstall/remove those versions that aren't needed.

Rationale: A higher frequency of updates is a good thing but when we opt not to move toward the new releases it works against the development cycle rather than for it. By simply adding a letter to the location where the release will be installed we get the best of all releases while simultaneously embracing the future. More frequent releases equates to more issues being resolved but also can introduce unintended results. Allowing for periodic change is essential to the process. Unnecessary resistance to change, when other options are available and viable will have us missing out on the most important changes.

An interim solution would be to simply use the earlier release of A:M.

Edit: I see that it is working correctly for you in the 32bit release so that would be the better interim solution.

Filing a report into A:M Reports will help determine if there is a pattern to be found on other folk's machines and assuming a problem can be verified will lead to a resolution.

As some folks have been experiencing issues with permissions with Win 7 you might double check those.

I suspect you already do this but if not, when installing, Right Click on the installer and install A:M as Administrator.

I don't always do this but have found it's usually a good idea.

Rodney,

Thanks for the info......Hey ! I do exactly as you show ..lettering each new install and keeping the rest ...well at least I try to remember to do that .....oH and on my problem ...v17a 64 bit works ...all 64 bit verions afterwords 17b 17c simcloth crashes ......all these on the same machine obviously......and all 32 bit version work also.....WIndows 7.......

I'll try the installer with a "run as admin" and see what happens ....... I've got till next June when supscriptions runs out to figure out whats going on....it has to be my maching .. other say it works for them ..........

Mike

I have just noticed that 17c W 64 bit (simcloth crashing version) version has this extra OPEN GL extension..."GL EXT texture filter anisotropic" that 17a does not show .....even tho I

couldn't say why, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the crashes..........?

Mike

• 3 months later...

OK , after trying months to getting version past 17a 64bit (Win 7 64) simcloth not to crash when simming and having occasional success by changing permissions of how AM starts (admin etc) then later finding it wasn't working again ...I had givin up trying ..... but after not being able to view the resource monitor in task manager ..... I searched for a solution to it ...... so it looks like my user account was corrupt? Suggestion was to start a new user account, it worked ResMon started. So I started AM 17g 64 in it and tried simming a test simcloth prj. it simmed just fine!!!! ...I have my finger crossed but it sure looks like the corrupt User Account may have been the problem all along .......damn I hope so ...I pass this info along just in case someone else ends up having a similar problem....

Mike