Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Clothing

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I was reading in a recent animation magazine about cloth and clothing. Robert has shown some really useable examples of how AM uses cloth. And, of course, there have been other great examples of how people are using cloth in their animation and model creation.

I think where I am going with this is what Mark or Caroline did with her clothing setup. How many are using cloth? Clothing? Or is the model built with clothing as a part of the model? I have sent an example of what I am talking about.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/925...pg?t=1319476566

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I use clothing over my models because I like the way it moves but it is very difficult to make it do what you want. I have been trying it as part of the model which is almost as difficult and it doesn't look satisfying to me but you know what ever works at the time.

• *A:M User*

Thanks Paul, and I think you are right about the clothing I showed. But some of the games and animations I have been following clothing and the quality of the movement and texturing is outstanding.

Walter I will start to use some cloth in the future as most of the items I have created for Cupid was in the intent of cloth.

I will keep you updated.

Steve

• Hash Fellow

Is that example actually using a cloth simulation? Is there a video clip of it available? It looks like a case where just modeling it would do well.

The Scarecrow in TWO had a very good looking "cloth" outfit that was just conventionally modeled. Woot looked good too that way.

Cloth is such a beast to wrestle with in almost every 3d package that has it. That said to me it does add a sense of realism to any scene but at the cost of long and tedious processes and tweakings and more tweakings.

Would I use it all the time if it was easy and fast to do? Sure. But it isn't and in many cases as Robert said a nicely modeled cloth might look almost as good and save tons of time and hair (As in pulling out of your own scalp.)